[USS Vanguard] NRPG: The Explorer - March & April 2003

  • From: The Explorer <gammafleet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "GF News" <gammafleet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 17:56:17 +0100

THE EXPLORER - March & April 2003

Editors Notes

Man, this is scary. I've been doing this for four months now and it just keeps
getting more and more difficult to talk about things. I know its hard to
believe that I've ran out of things to say, but I really have... ::Searches
through his hard drive:: Oh wait... No, you don't want to know about that... Ah

I've been reading a PC Games magazine for quite a while now and I am always
examining the editorial notes/comments at the beginning and if you think my
beginnings are bad, you should read this. He starts off by saying "Is this the
best [Title] yet?" I mean, blow your own trumpet mate, why not!?

I would like to say good luck to Carlos as he takes his dreaded driving
lessons. The thought of him actually driving on the roads is just unbearable...
;) (I did say that I would like to). Actually, that's being unfair with all the
pain he's been through over the past few weeks, but Eve never been a fair guy!

After a long month or so of being offline myself, I'm finally back with an
email change (again). I hope this will be the last one, but who knows. Details
are below.

On a final note, I would like to think people have some spare time on their
hands, just as I do. If you do, let me know because I could really use some
help with this!

Lastly, before I move on, I would like to say thank you and good wishes to Vice
Admiral Xavian, who stepped down as Deputy CnC of Gamma Fleet on March 4th. You
will all be pleased to know that I will not be applying for her position,
however if offered, I may be forced to take it. Good Luck, Alexa!

This issue:

1)     Sim Focus - USS Falcon

2)     C-in-C Report

3)     Player Interview - Martin Burton

4)     Omega Directive

5)     Humour

Now seriously, I have run out of things to say... Oh wait.......

Martin Burton

IRC Administrator

Director Of Fleet Operations

Editor In Chief - The Explorer

Gamma Fleet - A Star Trek Role Playing Game

Email: dfooffice@xxxxxxxxx

Email: sierrafleet@xxxxxxxxxxx

(I've really got to cut down on that signature)

Sim Focus - USS Falcon

Some time, in the distant future, exists a ship, known as the USS Falcon. Upon
it, are some of the strangest, disturbed, and rated 'Most in need of
Psychiatric help Crew of 2380.' These are indeed the travels of the starship

The Falcon itself is almost five years old, having started a month or two after
the creation of Gamma Fleet. Originally envisaged as an 'overflow' sim for the
extra players flowing in to the fleet those many moons ago, it now has its
unique brand of insanity.

Its aim is simple à To repeatedly abuse it's captain until he retires or is
promoted off.

The Falcon's crew is a strange mix of characters: An Andorian Captain on the
verge of nervous breakdown, an XO who doesn't know the meaning of relax, a
stuck up counsellor who detests her husband (the aforementioned Andorian), a
Caitian chief of security ('Here kitty' is not an advisable form of address), a
backside kicking Orion pilot, a shuttle pilot who dreams of backside kicking,
and a Vulcan who can put up with the above, to name but a few.

The players are a group. well, the game master is a social misfit who campaigns
tirelessly on behalf of supporting the extraordinarily great proportions of
female-to-male characters, compared to our large male-to-female ratio of

Our current mission? Bringing our dysfunctional group to gate crash a wedding,
to be hopefully thrown in with a twist of lemon.

And that, Ladies, Gentlemen, and transgendered species, is the Falcon in a

Captain Thress

Commanding Officers

USS Falcon

Website: http://travel.to/uss_falcon (At time of press, the site is currently

C-in-C Report

'tis be 2003, and all is quiet on the Fleet front. At the moment, the fleet
commanding officers are in discussions regarding the future running of the
fleet, which we'll communicate the results of to you.

On another note, the DFO has now set up a discussions list for all members of
Gamma Fleet. I'd strongly urge all to join it. Any topic can be discussed, and
we hope to have department directors on hand, to help answering questions
relating to the departments they represent (how do I do this, that, the other?
Anyone have an idea on how I could.? Etc.) The more who participate, the more
useful we can make it for all of us.

As a final note, the GF website is down and has been for some time. Hopefully,
I'll have a new host for us soon (the site is heavily reliant on various bits
of software that don't come on bog-standard freebie hosting, so I have to ask
people nicely) and be back up and running.

As ever, any ideas, comments, suggestions, thoughts, or random conversations
are as welcome as ever (gammafleet@xxxxxxxxxxx).

So, have fun until next time.

Fleet Admiral Emilio Diaz

Gamma Fleet

Player Interview - Martin Burton

I interviewed myself on the 19th January 2003, and what an experience that was!

Q: How long have you been in Gamma Fleet?

A: Three years... I think. I became Captain of the USS Intrepid in January of
2000, so yeah, three years.

Q: Why did you choose Gamma Fleet?

A: Well, I was already serving as a Lt. (JG) on the USS Masada, a former member
of Tango Fleet. I decided to go hunting for another fleet that I could do a bit
more to, you know, not be another name on the roster. I eventually found Gamma
Fleet (I think Angelfire were hosting their pages then...) And found the USS
Intrepid. I applied for the job of CO and got it, although it did take a while.
I've commanded her ever since, and in those three years, we've gone through two
Intrepid Classes and we are now on the Ares Class.

Q: With this ever changing state of RPG's and new fleets/ships becoming
released every day, how do you think Gamma Fleet will do?

A: Well, as we've been going for five years, why not go for another five.
Carlos is very dedicated towards the fleet and believe me, so are others, me
included. I have worked hard to get where I am, and really I don't want to lose
it because the fleet goes down hill. Honestly though, in the foreseeable
future, I don't think that's going to happen. If it does, I will be very very

Q: How many sims are you on in Gamma Fleet and which is your favourite?

A: I'm on the Intrepid, CIA, and I've just applied for the Devastator. As for
my favourite, I don't have one. The sims you are on don't matter, its the
people you are on them with that make them enjoyable, and I enjoy working with

Q: What are your immediate plans for Gamma Fleet and your role in its future?

A: Firstly, my only main responsibility at the moment to Gamma Fleet is the DFO
position which I took up just before Christmas (and of course the Intrepid).
I've been in the DFO position now for about four months, and I can honestly
say, so far, so good. As mentioned in the last newsletter, everyone is
encouraged to join their department lists. They are there for support in your
roles... Not everyone knows everything. Secondly, my next plan is to start up
an awards system for Gamma Fleet specifically for departments. Steve Johnson
and myself will be working on this shortly. After that, the DFO carries on with
Out Of Game services, i.e. the Gamma Fleet Hall of Fame, which will begin to
take shape later in the year. There will also be an IRC sim starting very very
soon, and anyone is welcome to come and join in. It will be Sundays @ 6pm EST.
Also, the newsletter now being published every bi-month or so, to keep Carlos'
idea of 'Communication' (See last issue) alive. All in all, the near future for
Gamma Fleet should be interesting.

Awards Ceremony

This will be taking place later in the year and all are invited to attend. If
you know someone who is worthy of an award (list can be found on the DFO
website), please let Captain Norton (dfooffice@xxxxxxxxx) or Captain Johnson
(Sea13Quest@xxxxxxx) know.

IRC Server

After some minor hiccups on our old server, we have moved to a new one:

Server: risa.risanet.com

Port: 6667 or 6668

Channel: #GammaFleet

RisaNet's administrators have welcomed us with open arms and can be contacted
on the network with the command "/ircops". It has also been noted that this has
been Captain Norton's IRC home for the past year or so and so far he has not
experienced any major difficulties. The operators (@) have remained the same
and can be contacted in the channel. If there are any problems please contact
Captain Norton (dfooffice@xxxxxxxxx) or Captain Johnson (Sea13Quest@xxxxxxx).
If you wish to message them by conventional methods, details can be found on
the DFO website along with their email addresses as well.

Explorer Online

You have received this email because you are subscribed to a Gamma Fleet list
(whether it be a ship or a departmental list). Some of us have received this
many many times (in my case 4) because of numerous lists you are on. If you do
happen to delete this, it can be found on the Gamma Fleet website
(http://gammafleet.startrekrpg.org) and soon on the DFO website

We have received some new recipes from our resident Diplomat! She sends her
regards  :)

Stuffed Todbaj Leg by ter'eS
Slaughter a todbaj and remove the legs.
Remove and dice the muscles of the legs. Mix with diced naH (fruit or
vegetables -- the word for each is the same in  Klingon) and add  unsweetened
liquid  yuch(chocolate) to smooth the mixture.
 Once mixed, stuff the empty legs. Serve. (cold)
Rokeg Blood Pie (ro'qegh'Iwchab): A traditional Klingon dessert, desired often
by Worf when he was growing up on earth ("Family"). It was first seen and
mentioned in "A Matter of Honour." Rokeg Blood Pie is a much favoured Klingon
dish, difficult to
prepare properly. There are many regional variations of this dish. The Blood
Feud between the House of Rengoth and the House of Dore began when warriors of
each house claimed to have the better recipe", according to "Star Trek:
Rokeg Blood Pie, K'Tesh's version:
2 packages Knox unflavoured gelatine
1 cup hot water
1 cup boiling water
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups 2% milk
2 teaspoons almond extract
** less than 1/8 teaspoon Burgundy icing colour
** Graham Cracker Crust mix
In the bottom of a large mixing bowl, prepare the graham cracker crust, careful
to make sure that only in the bowl has the crust. When finished the crust will
be on the top of the dessert, and the crust does not extend down the side.
Carefully cover the top of the crust with butter, this is intended to seal the
crust from the gelatine. (when graham cracker crust becomes wet, it swells, and
tastes reprehensible.)
Soften gelatine in a 2-quart bowl with 1 cup hot water. Stir until gelatine is
dissolved. Add 1 cup boiling water. Stir. Add Sugar, milk,

**food colouring, and almond extract. Stir together.
**Pour onto crust. Chill until firm.

When the gelatine is firm, cover the bowl with an upside down plate, and invert
the dessert