[USS Vanguard] Memories of Tonawanda (2).

  • From: "Cynan" <kuhnahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "USS Vanguard" <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 01:50:14 -0000

Rank: Lt. Cmd. Cynan Mandrake.
Location: Earth; Tonawanda, USS Vanguard.

Subject: Memories of Tonawanda (2).

OoC: This post is now concluding Cynan's memory of his ride across Tonawanda
during shove leave. We last saw him riding his new mare, Anwar, into an
unexpected herd of buffalo and Tonawanda Indians.

Incidentally, does anyone celebrate Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday?
Pancakes in Event Horizon?

Oh and apologies if the Indian names that I've used sound a bit rubbish. I
couldn't think of what to use! lol.

[Earth; Tonawanda]

With the wind in his hair and Anwar beneath him, he was free - it was almost
a shame that in another few days he would have to go back. Then again,
although he felt most at peace when he was out on his own with nature, there
was apart of him that missed the company of others, that longing to belong
to someone, a someone that he knew he would never find.

Most of Cynan's thoughts though were currently on Xristha. He was thinking
of how he had just left her in the restaurant and what he could possibly do
to make it up to her. As such he did not hear the sound of hundreds of
buffalo stampeding around the corner. Anwar did and stopped immediately dead
in her tracks which caused Cynan to hurtle over the top of her and into the
stampede.

In panic and unsure of the safest move, he drew his sword from his back and
swung low at their legs, bringing one of the beasts to its knees and sliding
along deep into the dirt.

Another was dropped down to his Cynan's left, two arrows protruding from its
side. Several more arrows soon flung through the air towards more of the
buffalo until the remaining animals were running around their dying
brothers, leaving Cynan stood in the midst of the bodies. Looking up towards
a ridge, he saw where the arrows had come from. There were several Indians
who were watching from upon their horses.

"Howdy!", Cynan shouted over. He wasn't sure what would happen next, but to
his intrigue, they invited him back to their village...

[Earth; Tonawanda Indian Reservation]

They turned out to be from the Tonawanda Reservation, one of the last great
reservations of the Americas and they had been out hunting for a festivals
feast.

"Fights with buffalo, come here", one of the Indians that had helped him
called out.

"Fights with buffalo?", Cynan asked cocking an eyebrow.

"You do fight with them, do you not?"

"I'll fight with anyone who causes me to fall of my horse.."

"Well then, fights with anyone who causes him to fall of his house, come."

"You have to be taking the.."

The Indian merely smiled. "You said your name was Cynan, didn't you?"

"Yeah.."

"Come, Cynan. I have something that I want you to see" he said smiling.

The Indian who Cynan learned later was the chief's only son, who was called
Wild Spirit. The chief himself was known as Brave Eagle.

Wild Spirit took Cynan to a sacred cave where his [Wild Spirit's] ancestors
would said to have been buried.

"This is where my ancestors are said to have been buried", he said, the
naked flame of his torch flicking on the walls, casting shadows all around
them.

"Why.. I mean this is an honour, but I do not understand why you are showing
me this, Wild Spirit."

Wild Spirit raised his head back sharply for a second, indicating to Cynan
and the necklace that he wore around his neck. "It is because of this symbol
that I bring you here."

What did he mean? Cynan thought to himself. He still didn't understand, not
until Wild Spirit stepped aside and held a torch up to a wall behind.

The wall itself was covered in paintings that had no doubt been there for
thousands of years. They depicted where the tribe had come from and the
perils that they had faced. One such peril was when they faced annihilation
from a far off power, people with necklaces just like Cynan's.

"What is this.." Cynan asked running a finger lightly over the depiction.

"Your people and mine are no strangers to each other, Cynan. Once we were
enemies. Tonight we are friends."

At this point Wild Spirit walked out of the cave leaving Cynan alone to
study the walls secrets by himself.

Later that evening there was a great festival, with a great fire, with woman
and men dancing around it. Cynan was sitting around a smaller fire with the
Chief, his older and wise advisor, Wise Owl, his son Wild Spirit, and two of
Wild Spirits warrior kin.

Meat from the buffalo that had been killed earlier that day was passed
around. Cynan was given the heart of the animal that he had brought down,
which was apparently a great honour according to Wild Spirit. Cynan however
had his reservations and after taking a bite he subtly ditched the rest in
favour of a more savoury part of the animal.

After they had eaten, Chief Brave Eagle's daughter brought out a pipe. Brave
Eagle explained that it was a pipe of peace and that it was traditionally
passed round friends at a gathering such as this.

At first it seemed unpleasant, but a after a few more draws it proved not to
be as bad and quite relaxing. It was a strange sensation but not that
uncommon from a similar drug back on Cynan's home world.

"So Brave Eagle, Wild Spirit tells me that our peoples once fought."

"My son Wild Spirit speaks the truth.", the Chief responded to Cynan.

"It is as I said, Cynan.", Wild Spirit confirmed.

"I did not know of this. Can you tell about it?", Cynan asked.

Brave Eagle turned to face Wise Owl, and nodded towards him.

"My name is Wise Owl, I am the oldest of our tribe and I will tell you what
I know.

"There was once a distance power that rose up and fell long ago. They became
too greedy and forgot about their G-ds. They tried to rule mother Earth as
if they were the G-ds themselves but the G-ds and mother Earth revolted in a
furious rage and swallowed up the people and their land deep beneath the
waves, never to be seen again."

"But you say I'm from their ancestry.., how can that be?", Cynan questioned.

"Some say that a small group was spared. That they were allowed to flea to
the stars in a great ball of light, banished from their Earthly home
forever. Until this day had come to pass we did not know if these stories
were true."

Wise Owl and Cynan continued to talk amongst the group about Cynan's
supposed ancestry and the clash with the Indians' with much interest. When
the morning finally came, Cynan did not know what was had been real and what
he had dreamt. The smoke from the pipe could do that to a man.

Just then the sound of the shuttle docking brought him back into the
present. He was at least home.

[To Be Continued...]