[USS Vanguard] Higher Authority

  • From: "Kieran Darkwater" <kdarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:54:25 +0000

Kieran staggered down the slope quietly, the steep angle alleviated by the
low gravity, and hurriedly slipped around the nearest dune, checking the
nape of his neck for blood where Mandrake had struck him.

Finding none, but feeling a large lump forming at the base of his skull, he
settled back against the piled sand gently, feeling the warmth of the close
Vulcan sun seeping out of the quartz and olivine grains into him.

"Now what the hell am I supposed to do?" he muttered, quietly, to himself,
breathing deeply as his arms and legs began to quiver gently, the last
vestiges of adrenaline playing out of his system. One way or another, he
realised, he needed to know what Mandrake was up to, and the direct approach
had manifestly failed. That only left going over his head... it felt
awkward, but not as awkward as lying face down in the sand as you gradually
regained consciousness. All in all, he'd had enough of people not behaving
as they should, and trying to variously beat him, stab him, shoot him and
otherwise try to turn him into an ex-StarFleet officer.

Easing himself away from the wall, he bounded gently across the sands in a
series of long, loping strides, covering the distance to the small research
station where he was staying in a matter of minutes, and slipping into his
quarters with barely a nod for his vulcan hosts. Thankfully, they were a
quiet bunch, and didn't seek to engage him in conversation as he moved
calmly, quietly, through the communial discussion room.

Seating himself quietly behind the desk, he called up his log reports and
read them through again, searching for something he might have missed: there
was nothing else there, which meant there was only one thing to do...

=^= "Starbase Brigadoon" came the terse reply, eventually.

=^= "I'd like to speak to the Station Commander, please. Tell him it's
Lieutenant Darkwater."

=^= "I'm sorry, Lieutenant, is it urgent. It's 03:45 station time?" Kieran
considered letting it wait, but there was no telling how long Mandrake was
going to be staying on the small moon, and he shook his head.

=^= "I'm afraid it is."

=^= "A moment, I'll wake him."

Kieran tapped his fingers gently on the formed metal surface of the desk,
idly picking up the few PADD's there, and rearranging them to no better
effect.

<Starbase Brigadoon - Captain's Quarters>

"Lights." he murmered, as the insistent beep of the comm panel sounded. "Go
ahead."

=^= "Sir, I have a Lieutenant Darkwater trying to contact you from Vulcan.
He says it's urgent."

Santos sighed, forcing his eyes open quickly. A few deep breaths, and he
wrapped his robe around his torso as he crossed to the screen. "Alright, put
him through."

=^= "Captain. Forgive the intrusion, I understand it's late there."

=^= "More early, now, than late. What's so important."

=^= "I realise that you may not be able to go into detail, sir, but I need
to know... is Cynan Mandrake up to something?" As quickly as that, the
Captain's lethargy was gone, and even over the light years Kieran could see
the sudden alertness and the narrowing of eyes.

=^= "Why do you ask?" he probed, after a moment, and Kieran realised he had
changes sides in this inquisition.

=^= "Well, about half and hour ago he knocked me out at a dig-site here on
one of the moons of Belaris, that's in the Vulcan system."

=^= "Is he still there?" Santos demanded, leaning forward.

=^= "Maybe, I'm not sure. He can't be far gone by now. Sir, there's
something..."

=^= "Stay on this channel, Lieutenant. I need to wake some people, and I'll
be right back to you."

=^= "Aye, si..." he began, not understanding for a moment what was going on,
but the Captain had already logged off, leaving the science officer to once
more return to building PADD castles on his desk as the gently wind brushed
against the thin, metal structure.

Lieutenant Kieran Darkwater
A&A Officer
USS Vanguard