[USS Vanguard] Gone

  • From: "Cynan" <kuhnahn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "USS Vanguard" <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 00:04:22 +0100

Lt. JG. Cynan Mandrake.
Location: USS Vanguard; Counselors Office, Event Horizon.
Time: After "wail of a banshee" (Kieran).

Subject: Gone.

[Counselors Office]
The day was getting on and Mandrake was still sitting in his chair, thinking
about the past, where his life had been and where he was headed. His future
was uncertain, and for once, that scared him. At least he was getting to go
home for awhile.

In a few hours he'd leave the ship and head over to the Star base's medical
facility where his re-grown arm was waiting to be attached. After that he'd
catch the nearest ship out-of-there that was headed for home (Albion).

Until then he had planned to just sit there, but Qbeds unexpected visit had
made him think. She was right, he should just 'get over it'.

He continued to sit and stare, a voice playing over and over in his mind.

"I'm about to say something I never thought I would.  Promise not to tell
anyone...but maybe talk to E'thexx.  And don't push She'Ra away.  She'll
help, if you let her."

That was good advice, but that was hard too. He'd never asked for help from
anyone, well except Ehress, and that was a long time ago.

Rounding a corner he had arrived at Jaav's office. He was about to enter
after sounding the chime and being called in when She'Ra appeared.

She'Ra: "Cynan!"

He looked at her and backed away, with just a whisper of goodbye. He dashed
down a corridor and out of sight before as the doors to Jaav's office
opened, before she even knew what was happening.

[TAG you two!]

[Event Horizon]
The hours were slipping away, the Event Horizon was deserted. He'd come to
get away from everything, for a stiff drink before the departing for the
station (and the operation to follow).

To his surprise Sam McCaw was around too, accompanied by the Captain, one
Dominic Cesar Santos.

OoC: I drafted this out as happening very late at night - or rather early in
the morning, but I had to place it earlier a bit so it might seem a bit out
of place.. so maybe ignore it, or place it later, or whatever.. but rather
then not write what I've already written, I am anyway lol. So sue me :)

They immediately noticed Mandrake over in a corner, but thought it best to
leave well alone.

Santos: "O'kay that's it. I've had enough of this!", he said rising up from
his chair.

Sam: "Agreed. Lets go."

They both stood up and went over to where Mandrake was sitting and dropped
three shot glasses and a bottle of the finest scotch whiskey on the table.

Santos: "Mind if we join you?"

Mandrake didn't move or even say a word.

Santos: "Good. That's that settled then."

The night [OoC: oops better change that LOL]. day went on and the bottle
became two, three and finally four.

Cynan: "I don't want any fuss. Not even a goodbye. Just let me go quietly."

He had finally spoken, but still he wasn't looking at them. He was in a
world of his own, a world where he was safe.

McCaw and Santos passed each other a glance showing their concern for their
crewman, their friend, but also there understanding.

McCaw: "You ARE coming back though, right?"

Mandrake stood and headed for the door. He looked back at his companions,
and left.

McCaw: "Do you think he'll come back?"

Santos: "Hmm. I don't know Sam, but if he doesn't, we'll go to him."

McCaw nodded to this and they continued their drinks. Mandrake on the other
hand was gone. The only evidence that he was ever even there were the
memories that he left behind, the sliced bulkhead in Holodeck 1 that he
hoped no one would notice and his tribal sword [not the katana - the Celtic
leaf-blade] that he'd left in She'Ra's quarters.

He might never have seen the Vanguard or its crew again in his mind, but he'
d sure see She'Ra again, no matter what.

USS Vanguard: http://vanguard.iwarp.com
_Free_Lists: //www.freelists.org