[USS Vanguard] Festival

  • From: "Soman Drath" <karma_tsunami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 17:09:35 -0500

From Christopher Jackson

Lt.Com. Soman Drath
U.S.S. Vanguard.
Following mission ending.

Soman: Alright, Shonok(NPC), that looks like the last of it.  With this data,
we should be able to get the temporal transporters working, full time.

The young Vulcan technician nodded his approval. Captain Henry had sent him
over from the U.S.S. Garrett to help with the final modifications to the EPS
relays for Vanguard's temporal transporters.  Like most fresh ensigns, he was
eager but he was also very sure of himself.  That was the Vulcan part, Soman
guessed.  Of particular amusement to Soman was the way Shonok's eyes followed
Challis as she made her way around the bridge.  More over, he'd noticed her
looking back.

Soman: She's single, you know.

Shonok's indignation at being caught looking manifested itself in a single
raised eyebrow.  Soman just couldn't resist the opportunity.

Shonok: I beg your pardon, sir?

Soman: Her name is Challis and she gets off duty in 30 minutes.  I'm sure
she'll be at the party tonight.

Shonok: Sir, with all due respect, why are you telling me this?

Soman: No reason, just throwing the information out there.  Anyway, I think
we're done here.  I'll see you at the party tonight.

Shonok: Uhm, sir, I wasn't really planning to attend.

Soman: Well that's up to you, though I know Captain Henry will be attending.  I
intend to tell him what a fine officer he has.  Just wouldn't due for that
person to be absent.

Shonok as speechless for a moment, searching for the words.  Keeping his XO's
poker face, Soman smiled in the back of his mind.

Shonok: Then, I'll see you there, sir.

As Shonok walked off, Soman allowed the smile to crease his face.  The shift
came to a close after Soman filed Highwaij's report.  Changing into a clean
uniform, made his way to the Event Horizen; looking forward to the festivities.
 The doors to the turbolift parted and Soman was greeted by Xristha Droin.
Standing in the turbolift, as she caught sight of Soman, Xristha quickly
altered her downcast gaze.  Soman stepped in and called the appropriate deck.
Standing next to her, he looked over at her.

Xristha: What?  Do I have something on me?

Soman: No, I was just admiring how lovely you look, this evening.

Xristha: Oh, I'll bet you say that to all the CMOs you meet in turbolifts.

Soman: Ohoh, I thing you got me there.  You know, I was looking over the crew
transfers before I got off duty.  So, are you two going to try a long distance

Xristha: No, we had seen this coming for sometime.  We're both fine with it.
That's the life of Starfleet. That's what we signed on for.

Soman: That doesn't make it any less hard.

Xristha took a deep sigh and shook her head in agreement with Soman.

Soman: Well, I'll tell you what.  Being lonely isn't so bad when you've got a
ship full of people who care about you and are glad to have you around.  If you
need a shoulder. . .

Soman leaned in and gave the CMO three playful nudges with his shoulder;
attempting his best puppydog eyes impression.  Xristha grinned.

The turbolift came to a halt depositing the two on their desired deck.

Soman: Shall we go?  Oh, by the way, don't tell anyone I was trying to be
sweet.  Could start rumors.