[USS Vanguard] Re: Ethics (resubmit)

  • From: "Peter-Jan Hanekamp" <p.hanekamp@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 06:10:19 +0200

I pasted it into word and took out the =20
so here it is

Highwaij

> Counselor Jaav E'thexx
> USS Vanguard
> After: Mel's last post
>
> <snip>
> 20 minutes passed and she [Zena] paced glancing every minute or so at the
entrance,
> She sighed and looked at her boots, suddenly a nurse came charging out of
> the chamber "we need a host now!, the symbiont is critical, it wont last
an
> hour without one, Doctor Droin asked me to have you find someone stat!"
>
> With that she ran back into the chamber. Zena's mind went blank for a
second
> before it hit her...Jaav! he was a potential host, if anyone could have a
> successful joining he was it!
>
> Zena tapped her Comm badge and contacted Jaav...
>
> <end snip>
>

> Counselor Jaav E'thexx sat, slumped in a large artificial leather chair in
his quarters aboard the Vanguard. The chair almost swallowed him, which was
how he liked it. His gaze was firmly glued to the Iconian crystal tapestry
situated across the room on his coffee table. Myth held that the sculpture
gave the observer a vivid refletion of their own soul if they stared into
the complex crystal lattice for long enough. Jaav had been concentrating on
the the objet d'art for nearly an hour, doing nothing else but sipping on a
glass of water every now and again.

> His communicator chirped
>
>  /\  Quetan: Quetan to E'thexx, I need to speak with you in sickbay Jaav.
> Jaav sat up, tugged his uniform down and placed the glass of water down on
the floor by his chair before tapping his comm badge.

>  /\  E'thexx: I'm sorry Zena I'm not on call at the moment Zena, its
Counselor Stern you want - I think she's in her...

>  /\  Quetan: We need you down here urgently Jaav, I thinks its best I
explain properly when you arrive.

> The Jaav's badge went dead, he stepped up, knocking the glass over his
floor, leaving a large, dark patch of water on the carpet below his feet,
Jaav left his quarters and headed straight for sickbay.

> ***
>
> Moments later he arrived, Zena was pacing anxiously back and forth outside
the operating chamber, Jaav wondered what it was that could possibly have
made her so tense. She stopped as soon as she saw him.

> Quetan: Thank God you're here, we don't have a lot of time.
>
> The look of confusion on Jaav's face multiplied ten-fold.
>
> E'thexx: Time for what=3F I don't understand.
>
> Zena exhaled, almost preparing herself for the speech she was about to
make.

> Quetan: The Trill host we beamed aboard, the artificial symbiont was being
rejected, Xristha had no choice but to separate them and now the symbiont is
dying.

> E'thexx: You've got the wrong person Zena, I don't know anything about the
biochemistry involved, I can't help you.

> Quetan: We need to find a replacement host.
>
> E'thexx: Have you tried contacting the Symbiosis Commission, they can
usually dispatch an emergency host.

> Quetan: We don't have enough time, the symbiont is critical, Droin says we
need to find a new host within the hour. That's why I called you here,

> Jaav looked up, obviously only just beginning to realise what it really
was that Quetan was suggesting.

> Quetan: You're unjoined...
>
> E'thexx: No, no Zena! I wouldn't be a suitable host, I'm only half Trill
remember, the Commission state specifically that Trill/Human hybrids rarely
make suitable candidates for the joining.

> Quetan: They say 'rarely' Jaav not 'never'. Dr. Droin and I have already
run the analysis, your inherited Trill charactersitics are far more dominant
than your Human ones, Xristha says that the risk is only slightly above that
of a joining conducted under normal conditions.

> Counselor Jaav E'thexx looked down at the floor beneath him, he glanced
about the room, blinking slowly a a nuber of times. The reality of the
situation was far too clear to him, he had never wanted this...

> E'thexx: I'll never be the same Zena.
>
> Quetan smiled, she placed one hand on his shoulder.
>
> Quetan: I'm not going to lie to you Jaav, it's true, but at the same time
it's wonderful. It's okay to be afraid, I was afraid, but right now you are
that symbiont's only chance of survival.

> As soon as Zena completed her sentence Droin emerged from the operating
chamber. The hiss of the door as it slid open caused Zena to turn around.
Xristha Droin was dressed in the standard, blood-red, head-to-toe surgical
gown.

> Droin: What are we doing people...I need to know now.
>
> All eyes were on Jaav, he felt the pressure upon him, but knew that there
could be no other way. He knew that there was only one answer he could give,
if he said 'yes' he would never be the same again...

> .but if his answer was 'no' the immense guilt of allowing a symbiont to
die would never leave him.

> E'thexx: Okay...I think I'm ready.
>
> Zena patted Jaav on the shoulder, placed her hand on his back and led him
into the operating room. Jaav climbed onto the centre biobed, his breath
became deep, everything around him became muffled and surreal. Dr. Xristha
Droin was the last voice Jaav E'thexx heard.

> Droin: Ok everyone, we have to move fast, administer 5CCs Toluprobanol and
activate the sterile field...

> END
>
> OOC:
> I've re-posted this, in a different way to before and copied the message
to two other Email accounts - Hopefully this will let me know where the prob
is.

USS Vanguard: http://vanguard.iwarp.com
_Free_Lists: //www.freelists.org