[USS Vanguard] Eternal Torment

  • From: "Steve Hedger" <kdarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 00:37:33 +0000

Ensign Kieran Darkwater
Location: USS Vanguard (En route to Angel One); Event Horizon
Time: After 'The Shadow of the Night'

Kieran found himself leaning forward, his interest piqued at Cynan's tale of
his people, and how they still persisted with primitive manhood rituals and
rites of passage. Not that he in any way dismissed or derided such
behaviour: all societies maintained such festivals in one form or another,
whether they chose to admit it or not.

"Ensign?" a voice cut into his thoughts after the story finished, and he
looked up to see Des' staring at him. "You have a tale to tell?"

"Oh, no..." he began, seeing all the eyes turn in his direction.

"Come now," the Captain beckoned, with a smile, "you can't expect us to
believe that an anthropologist doesn't know at least one ghost story?" A few
of them chuckled, and Kieran felt his cheeks start to redden as his mind

"Well, as I believe has been said at least once tonight, I'm not a
story-teller, but I do have one tale that might add a little something to
the evening. It's a Trill tale, actually, from the Casart period when the
Trill populace..." - he caught sight of a few faces beginning to wince
slightly and realised he was falling into a slightly lecturing mode -
,"...were doing a whole load of things that none of you really care about
right now. It runs a little something like this.

There were two brothers, sons to a powerful Noble. The eldest was a strong,
handsome, intelligent, but petty man, and the younger was stronger, more
handsome and smarter, but honourable and decent in all things.

Jealous of his brother, the elder, Kova, began to learn magic and sorceries
to become better than the brother he felt certain was plotting against him.
Veran, the younger, would hear no evil spoken about his brother, and refused
to listen to any of the stories, and so it went until their father died.

Kova, certain that Veran would try to usurp him, called for an Oracle to
tell him of the future.

'Your brother will rule,' she assured him. 'He will rule when you no longer
walk the earth.'

I will not die! Kova vowed, and retired to his room to work his magics. He
sacrificed many innocents that night, and called forth a powerful demon with
whom to make a pact. The next day, early in the morning, he called for his
brother, who loyally came to the Lord's chamber.

The guards clapped him in irons, and took before his brother, who sat
regally upon their father's throne, days before he should.

'Have you heard the tales of me, brother?' Kova asked. Veran merely nodded.
'The tales of magic and evil sorceries?' Veran nodded again. 'They are all
true.' Veran staggered, shocked at the words, and at Kova's signal the demon
emerged from the shadows a horrific sight, all claws and spines and teeth
and rage and anger.

Veran pleaded with his brother. 'Kova, you do need this creature's help. I
will stand with you, and there is nothing that together we cannot do.'

'I will not need your help, traitor." Kova spat back. 'I will make a bargain
with the demon, a pact, and I will be invincible.' The demon move closer,
and Kova turned to it.

'Name your terms.' he demanded, and the mass of anger stared malevolently

'Your soul' It growled and hissed at the same time, a noise like rocks being
sundered under great pressure. 'Nothing more, nothing less.'

'In return for which, you will grant me one request?' Kova confirmed.

'Anything. There is nothing beyond my powers.'

'Kova, don't do it.' Veran begged, but Kova was beyond hearing within his
dreams of power.

'Agreed.' he nodded, and the demon rubbed it's hands. 'And my request. I
wish to live forever.' The demon stopped, eyeing him curiously.

'Forever.' It asked.

'Forever.' he confirmed, with a smirk, casting his arms to the sky in
victory. 'You see, Veran, there is no need for you. I am all powerful. I
cannot be killed. I will live forever...'

'You shall.' The demon confirmed, with a grin of it's own, an expression
that made Veran physically ill. 'And you shall live forever in a place of my
choosing.' The ground opened up beneath Kova and he fell into a lake of fire
and lava beneath the castle, screaming in a pain beyond mortal comprehension
as the rift in the floor of the building above began to close.

Veran, who had never feared anything in his life, overcame his terror of the
demon and swung the heavy iron chains at it, toppling it into the pit after
his brother where it hung on the chains, pulling him closer to the pit. He
struggled to escape, fought to be free of the chains, and finally managed it
when he managed to grasp his brother's dropped sword and cut off his own
hand. By that time he was hanging over the edge of the pit, and that's where
he was found by the guards who came to see what had happened.

Veran became Lord, and then King, Veran the One-Handed, and he cried every
day until the day he died: his right eye weeping from the burns on his skin,
and his left for the pain in his soul."

He finished on a quiet note, looking up to see the others in the lounge
staring intently.

"Um, that's about it." he offered, with a shrug.