[USS Vanguard] Equinox

  • From: Kieran Darkwater <kierandarkwater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 23:26:28 +0100 (BST)

After: Heatin' the Freeze
"And where do you think you're going?" Kieran looked up, rather blankly, at the
woman who'd stepped out in front of him. For a moment he thought someone was
looking to start trouble, but the mood was wrong for it, and he relaxed a
"Look Commander," she started, "I know I am new around here and don't know very
much about this crew and I am the last one to be giving advice but..."
"Then don't?" he offered - no-one that started a conversation in that vein
could possibly be saying something he wanted to hear.
"You can spend some time with us because as far as I can see, I don't bite and
neither do they."
Kieran glanced across at the small group that had settled about the table,
grateful for the forced smiles they put on to mask their dissapointment in him,
in his performance during their away-mission. Them he knew, and he knew they
would leave him to deal with the situation in his own time, to come to them and
apologise individually, but this newcomer...
"Why do you care?" he asked, quietly, wondering if she were trying to draw him
into some sort of verbal trap: pin him down amongst the group and flog him with
his own guilt for a while. Too risky. "I have to finish this report, anyway."
 "No you don't," she snatched the PADD he demonstrated with and snuck it behind
her back like the playground bully taunting smaller children. "I am sure the
captain is in no hurry to get those. He knows that we are just having some time
off and from what I can see you've been trying to get that done from before we
all got here. Face it man, you need a break."
~Arm or leg?~ he thought to himself, but forced a calming breath in through his
nose, and out through his mouth, and said nothing. The PADD, after all, was
merely a display - the information was held in the central computer core, and
any PADD he used could call it up.
"Besides," Jazz continued, "It's not everyday you get to just laze about. Get a
load off, put your feet up and have a drink with..ah...friends! So what do you
"I do not intend to finish this for the Captain, Miss, but for myself. I have
to settle this in my own mind, before I can look for it in someone elses.
You're right, you don't know me, that's obvious - each of us deals with things
in our own way. You, apparently, like to confront them - I prefer to
rationalise them. When I'm done, I'm sure I'll be available to turn down your
party invitation for lack of interest, rather than pressing engagements, now if
you'll excuse me...?"
Off> Hehe... Kieran really can be a prat, sometimes :)
Lieutenant-Commander Kieran Darkwater
Archaeology and Anthropology Officer