[USS Vanguard] All creatures great and small

  • From: "Jonathon" <jonathon.bremmer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:35:43 -0000

Counselor Jaav E'thexx
Sickbay
After:

It was an almost laughable congregation, but then this was no ordinary patient.
 Like some kind of "meeting of the minds" the Vanguard's CMO, First Officer,
Chief Engineer, Ship's Counselor and Newly appointed Exobiologist all stood
round the main biobed peering down at the tiny Bio-Neural Gel Pack.

Vokar:  I've run repeated diagnostics on this and the other two faulty gel
packs, according to the computer they are functioning within normal parameters,
but as soon as they interface with the Vanguard's systems they go down.

Droin:  Medical sensors show an irregularity in the neural matrix.  Do you have
any idea what could have caused this?

Vokar:  Theta radiation has been known to cause mutations in some cases - But
there's no such source aboard the Vanguard.

Jaav watched with interest as Ensign Khan produced an adapted tricorder and
probe, the device chirped into life as she moved it over the gel pack.  Jaav
then turned to Soman, noticing him shift in discomfort before speaking.

Soman:  Is there any chance that we're looking at some sort of contagious
condition that might be causing the gel packs to fail?  I once read a report
where cheese particles had triggered an infection in the packs

There was a brief silence.  This time Khan spoke up.

Khan:  I'll have to conduct a more detailed analysis to be sure, but it doesn't
look like the fault has arisen due to any living organism.  I'm not detecting
any micro or macro biological infections.

Khan looked up from her tricorder analysis and smiled at Soman, the commander
seemed happy with her conclusion.  It was Vokar's turn to continue the
exchange...

Vokar:  I've replaced all key systems with isolinear back-ups just to be safe.
Xristha has prepared a antibiotic infusion that can be administered to the
packs as a precaution.

Droin:  Maybe we're looking at this from the wrong perspective.

The other officers turned to Droin, all waiting for her to expand upon her
statement...

Vokar:  In what way?  The problem doesn't appear to be a technical one, these
devices rarely fail for no reason.

Droin developed a miniature epiphany in her head before explaining to the
others.

Droin:  What makes these gel packs so revolutionary??  Their Neurology!  That's
what makes them so revolutionary compared, maybe thats where the problem lies.
 Counselor, you have some experience of neuroscience, what do you think?

Jaav stared down at the tiny patient and squinted a little, it was true that he
had some knowledge of Neuroscience, but it wasn't a skil he'd had to draw on
since his academy days.

E'thexx:  Have you tried a Neural Pressure Polygraph?  That might give an
indication of the activity distribution.

Xristha moved to a medical diagnostic terminal, her hands moved swiftly over
the panel as she expertly reprogrammed the computer to perform the analysis.  A
shaft of shimmering green light projected from the cluster above the main
biobed, it moved up and down the gel pack.  The computer chirped as data was
fed back to it.  Once again, Xristha demonstrated her medical talents as she
instructed the computer to process the data.

Droin:  That's it!!

Droin jammed down a couple more controls, the image instantly appeared on the
main sickbay screen.  She pointed to a region of the schematic flooded with a
large, red mass of degraded pathways.

Droin:  What function does that portion of the gel pack perform Mr. Vokar?

Vokar:  It's usually more or less redundant, it contains the interface protocol
that links the gel pack to the ship's systems.  There's no reason for it to
malfunction.

The rest of the officers stood and contemplated the screen as Jaav worked
through a theory in his head,

E'thexx:  Mr. Vokar... I think I know what the problem is...

Vokar swung toward the Counselor, but said nothing, he simply waitied for him
to continue.

E'thexx:  Your Gel Pack is suffering from a case of stress.

Vokar:  Stress!?

E'thexx:  It's a crude analogy, but essentially, the Gel Pack is having trouble
'getting along' with the Vanguard's systems.  The packs were originally
designed for use aboard standard federation starships.  The Romulan technology
and adaptations aboard probably make it difficult for the packs to interface
with the systems.

Vokar:  It makes sense, that would explain why the problem has taken so long to
present itself, the degredation would've been gradual.

Soman:  Can it be remedied?

Vokar:  Certainly, it's just a simple case of realigning the interface
protocols, I could have it completed within 6 hours, I'll get started right
away.

Soman nodded, not expecting Vokar to leave that instant as he did.  Soman
turned to the remainder of the officers.

Soman:  Nice work, I have something concrete to put in my report.

Soman moved over to Xristha and began a converstion just out of Jaav's earshot.
 Khan was inspecting some devices on one of the equipment trays.  Jaav sensed
that his presence was no longer required and took himself out onto the
corridor.  He realised that he was late - but hopefully not too late for an
important appointment.  He headed immediately for the turbolift at the end of
the corridor.  Once inside, he clipped at the computer,

E'thexx:  Holodeck 1

The turbolift swiftly and smoothly began its journey.  Within seconds,  Jaav
found himself outside the holodeck doors.  He took a glance at the display
before entering and smiled once he saw which programme was running.

He entered.

The intense sunlight bouncing off the sand hurt Jaav's eyes for the brief few
seconds it took him to adjust.  He took a glance out at the deep purple sea and
almost felt himself drawn into it as it extended out toward the horizon line,
shimmering like Tholian silk.  It had been a long time since he had been back
on Trill, the holographic illusion made Jaav's heart sink a little, he looked
to the left, and then to the right.

Qbed stood straight upon a pale blue blanket, with her arms folded rigidly.
Jaav began to walk over to her.

E'thexx:  Interesting choice of programme...

Qbed:  Well I thought at least ONE of us should enjoy this.

Jaav sensed the hostility in her tone, he hadn't expected her to be happy about
the session.  He simply lowered himself down and sat on the blanket.  Qbed
stood for a few moments longer, before beginning to do the same.  She attempted
to cross-fold her legs but had great difficulty in mastering the technique.
Instead she thrust her legs straight out infront and breathed heavily.

Qbed:  You know I really don't see the point in this!!! What would you know
about my problem anyway?!

Jaav attempted to formulate a response which would diffuse Qbed's hostility,
one thing was certain - She was NOT going to be an easy case.

END

OoC:  Phew! Sorry I've been out of the loop for a while, I'll be continuing
this post shortly with any luck - That is unless anyone has anything else to
add.  Randi??

USS Vanguard: http://vanguard.iwarp.com
_Free_Lists: //www.freelists.org