[USS Vanguard] Advice

  • From: Qbed <alpha_chan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncv80221@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2002 21:39:25 -0700 (PDT)

OoC: Wow, I'm posting.  Amazing, isn't it?  Cynan, if
this doesn't work with your character/what you had in
mind, just ignore it.

After "Don't call me, I'll call you."

> Cynan: "Just go."
> She turned, but then span right back around.
> She'Ra: "Why won't you just let me in!? I thought we
> had something!!"
> There was an empty silence for a minute or two
> whilst she stood there
> looking at the shape in the corner, and then she
> left. The door swished
> closed to a sigh from with-in the darkness and all
> was silent once again.

Qbed sighed as the door chimed.

"Go away," Cynan snapped. "I don't want to talk to

"You don't even know who it is," Qbed replied

"Give the man a prize.  Are you going to let me in, or
do you want me to shout from the hall?  I don't mind
if the whole ship hears."

The doors slid open.

"How *do* the doors know when to open and when to stay
shut?" she mused as she walked in. "Federation marvel,
I suppose."

"That's what you wanted to say to me?" he growled.  He
was turned slightly away from her.

She rolled her eyes. "I talk to Dommy about doors.  It
annoys him." She grinned. "I know your arm's not
there; you can face me."

"How dare you."

She let the grin slide from her face. "Sorry.  I'll
levitate on my own time.  I came here because...well,
I understand."

"I'm the only other one in the room."

"Say what you have to say and go."

"Get over it."

He stared.

"That's what I have to say.  Get over it."

"What--what are you--how--"

"Your arm will be replaced.  You'll get another arm
that's just as good, or better, than the one you had."

He didn't say anything.

She sat next to him, uninvited. "Look.  You think I
don't know how you're feeling?  You think I don't get
it?  Something that's always been there; something you
never even thought about not having because why
wouldn't it be, has been stripped from you."

He didn't move or reply, but Qbed sensed his hostility
was lessening.

"And not only has it been taken, but now you're
helpless on top of it.  You don't know what to do.
You don't have your powers...your arm, that is."  She
grinned at her slip. "I'm not saying you should just
go skipping in the field picking daisies or anything,
but...this is just a temporary thing.  And since I
know how you feel, I can definitively say that you can
get over it." She made a wry face. "I'm about to say
something I never thought I would.  Promise not to
tell anyone...but maybe talk to E'thexx.  And don't
push She'Ra away.  She'll help, if you let her."  She
shook herself. "Ugh.  If you'll excuse my jaunt into
Mushy-mush Land."

"It's excused."

She rolled her eyes. "Well, I must be off.  Hibernate
here if you like, but I'll hope to see you around."
She paused at the door. "Consider yourself lucky.
You'll get your arm back long before I get my powers.

[During a poker game with Data, Albert Einstein, and Isaac Newton.]
Prof. Stephen Hawking: So then I said, "In that frame of reference the
perihelion of Mercury would have preceded in the opposite direction!"
[Einstein laughs.]