[ncsc-moths] Wake County Mothing 2/14 - 2/17

  • From: Kyle Kittelberger <kkturtledude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Moth List <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 01:38:30 -0800 (PST)

Hey everyone,

This past week proved to be the most productive week I have probably ever had
for moths. On the eve of the 14th I set up my moth black light sheet, but also
placed some mushed up banana and brown sugar on a post. Though nothing actually
came to the bait (except raccoons), I had an unbelievable number of moths at
the
sheet. The first moths i had were several Sloping Sallows, a lifer for me.
Straight-toothed sallows also were present, as well as many phigalias, a
possible Three-spotted sallow (check photo), a Common Oak Moth (lifer), and a
micro moth. After doing some reserach i discovered that my micro was a
Palmerworm Moth #2281, another lifer for me (Merrill, if you are reading this,
believe this is what your mystery micro moth from earlier in the month is). I
also had a Dimorphic Pinion, which interestingly was burrying itself in the
leaves.

Tonight was another fantastic night, and this time I set up moth baits in
several areas, either painting my concoction of rotten banana, brown sugar,
sugar, and some wine on trees or running rope in the mix and then hanging this.
Within 20 to 30 minutes of me putting out these baits, i already had sallows
feeding on them. The 'usual' sallows (Sloping, Straight-toothed) were present,
as well as a couple Oak moths. I had a Variable Sallow on one of my ropes, a
lifer for me. I also had a noctuid moth on my sheet that i can't id. I have
posted a pic, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Below are the lists of moths i had for the 14th and 17th. I have also attached
couple pics of phigalias that i believe are Small Phigalias, but i am not an
expert with these species. And image 0686 I am not sure about either; is it a
Palmerworm Moth (image 0684) too? If anyone can help me with these
identifications that would be terrific!

February 14th:
2281 Palmerworm Moth- 1 Lifer!
6658 Half-wing - 1
6659 Toothed Phigalia- 15
6662 Spring Cankerworm- 2
7416 Bent-line Carpet Moth - 1
8465 Green Cloverworm- 1
8591 Common Oak Moth- 1 Lifer!
9886 Dimorphic Pinion- 1
9933 Straight-toothed Sallow- 3
9935 Three-spotted Sallow? - 1 check image
9946 Sloping Sallow- 4 Lifer!

February 17th:
2281 Palmerworm Moth- 1
6659 Toothed Phigalia- 2