[ncsc-moths] Re: Tolype

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 12:53:25 -0400

I think all are probably notialis based on size, the pronounced
indentation(s) along the subterminal line and the possibility of being
double brooded.

Merrill
On Sep 29, 2011 12:29 PM, "kjchilds" <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> There were 2 from a few days ago....one was worn and the other was pretty
clean.

> The one from last night was in the same size range as what I replied on
Tuesday. All were about the same size, palps to outer margin from 17 to 19mm
with the one from last night a measured 18mm.

> Ken Childs
> Henderson, TN
> Chester County
>
> http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011
> http://tinyurl.com/Night-Creatures
> http://www.finishflagfarms.com
>
> ________________________________

has some pretty significant indentations in it.  The one from a few days ago
I can't tell because most of the scales on the forewing are worn off.  I
looked at some of the ones from June/July and now think they may be notialis
as well.  Hugh has asked and I'll ask again, do you notice any size
difference between the recent ones and the ones from June/July?  Notialis is
significantly smaller than velleda.

> Velleda is supposedly single brooded but I don't know about notialis.  I'm
beginning to think all of your moths may be notialis, particularly if I can
find some indication that species in double-brooded.

> Merrill
>

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM, kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Another one showed up last night. Any thoughts on this one and others from
July and a few days ago?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9314.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9315.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9237.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9236.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9242.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_9244.jpg

>>Ken Childs
>>Henderson, TN
>>Chester County
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011
>>http://tinyurl.com/Night-Creatures
>>http://www.finishflagfarms.com
>>

>>________________________________

I had last night were T notialis. I'll post them in a little while.

>>Ken Childs
>>Henderson, TN
>>Chester County
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011
>>http://tinyurl.com/Night-Creatures
>>http://www.finishflagfarms.com
>>

>>________________________________

the year are probably T notialis based on 1. the notch in the terminal line,
2. the waviness of the pm line and 3. the date!!!! Isn't T. notialis small
compared to velleda? Were your June moths small?

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_6113.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p193/kjchilds/Moths%202011/Moths%202011%20temporary/IMG_6111.jpg

>>>Ken Childs
>>>Henderson, TN
>>>Chester County
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/Kens-Moths-2011
>>>http://tinyurl.com/Night-Creatures
>>>http://www.finishflagfarms.com

have only one generation per year. I had 2 in early July that were obviously
from 2 different broods and then no more until late September. Is there
possibly a second generation in the south or are all from last year?