[ncsc-moths] Sesiid Success!

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 12:50:15 -0400

I put up my clearwing borer (family Sesiidae) pheromone lures for the
first time yesterday afternoon.  Purchased them from Great Lakes IPM.
Within a hour I had a lifer:  Ash Borer (Podosesia syringae) 2589--a
pretty cool paper wasp mimic!  Can't wait to see what else is lurking
around my yard.  I figure there are potentially at least a dozen spp I
could catch.

Also, had my best night of the season--at least 62 spp, including 16
FOY and 3 lifers.  One of the lifers was Eriocrania semipurpurella
0005 (Purplish Birch-Miner), a member of the primitive family
Eriocraniidae.  Photos of both are attached.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm