[ncsc-moths] Re: Recent moths

  • From: "Harry Wilson" <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 19:39:00 -0400

Ali,

It looks like a Coastal Plain Meganola to me, as I compared your photo to one
on Bug Guide. I have found that many of the moths that Mark Dreiling
photographs in Oklahoma are also present in North Carolina, so I would not be
surprised to find this one here. And before sending my response I Googled the
species and found it reported from Fort Macon State Park in 2006 --
http://149.168.1.196/nrid/pubParkMG.php?majorGroup=INSECT-MOTH&park=FOMA. But
so far, that is the only other NC location that I can find, and yours appears
to be the first for the Triangle. By searching today I have also found records
of it in FL, GA, IL and KY. Good find!

Harry Wilson