[ncsc-moths] Re: Question and ID request

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 07:14:21 -0500

I think MPG has 3-4K of the roughly 14K species of North American moths
illustrated.

Also,  keep in mind that while bugguide and MPG are great resources, the
live photos are mostly contributed by amateurs and are identified by
amateurs.  There are  mistakes and mis-ids on the sites!  The photos on MPG
labelled with  the photographers name followed by DNA indicate that the
photographed specimen was collected and bar-coded.  These are the "gold
standard"  photos.