[ncsc-moths] Re: Phigalia strigataria 6660

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:07:49 -0500

According to Rindge (1975) A Revision of the Bistonii, page 126, the
slight olivaceous tint is often present on fresh strigataria..."The
males of strigataria are smaller than those of the two preceding
species [denticulata and titea]. The upper surface of the forewings is
paler, with less dark scaling than in denticulata, and is faintly
olivaceous gray in color."  A useful aid in i.d. when you have a fresh
specimen.  No mention of olivaceous tint in denticulata in the same
reference.  As I said the best mark is the pm line.

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm