[ncsc-moths] Re: New Moths For NC ?

  • From: "parker backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:49:07 -0400

Hi, Paul.

As Merrill can attest to, and I, to a lesser extent, mothing with Bo is a
blast.  The guy has forgotten more than I'll ever learn, I'm sure!

I was quite surprised to read that Norape ovina and Leptostales
rubromarginaria are thought to have not been recorded in NC until now.  I
have had at least four encounters with N. ovina (including three this
summer).  I don't recall how many encounters I've had with L.
rubromarginaria as it's been a couple/three years since I've last seen it.

I think this illustrates very well how challenging it is to gain an
understanding of the moths of a given state, especially one as diverse as
North Carolina.  There are a growing number of increasingly skilled moth
observers scattered across the state, but finding a given moth in a given
location on a given date sheds no real light onto the bigger picture having
to do with that taxon.  I have had several discussions with both Bo Sullivan
and Steve Hall about what constitutes a "rare" moth in this state, which
moths to report, which to collect, and I can't say I'm much clearer on the
subject today than I was before.  Sure, there is a select list of taxa that
I'm "keeping my eye out for," but what about all the other "rare" moths that
never came up in the discussions?  The "rare" designation, of course, is a
relative one to a great extent.  Certainly some taxa are known or thought to
be rare in a location based upon a body of work put in by a given individual
in that location.  There are regional considerations also.  What's rare in
Watauga County might not be rare in Chatham County, for example.  More to
the point for this discussion, what any of us might not consider/know is
rare (for lack of any contextual understanding) might indeed be rare (see N.
ovina as case in point).  Never when I saw this taxon did it occur to me
that it might be rare in NC.  Why did I make this assumption?  Why would I
NOT have?  That's my point.

In short, knowing what is worth reporting and what is not is a real
challenge.  Given the paucity of context or understanding it seems almost
certain that one or more taxa seen or photographed by one or more of us at
some point was notably rare, perhaps never have been recorded in the state
previously.  But honestly, how are we really to know?  Having a reasonably
accurate set of range maps-which would take years, or more accurately
decades, to develop-would certainly be a helpful starting place but even
that would still provide only so much information.

There is no fount or repository of comprehensive knowledge of which I'm
aware, though I'd be interested in people sharing the info source upon which
they most depend or find most useful.  Short of independently-gained
knowledge over time, I'm not sure there is a clear cut answer to truly
understanding moth diversity in our state(s) and region(s).  Moths are the
most complex natural history "thing" with which I've ever become involved,
by leaps and bounds.  Comparatively speaking, birding and butterflying is a
breeze.  It is entirely possible to master the avifauna of a state or region
(identification, variation, range, behavior, diet, reproduction, timing . ),
for example, and in a relatively short period of time, but one could live
several lifetimes and still not develop a full grasp of the moth picture
even for a single state!  But that's what makes it all so much fun, isn't
it?

Lep on!

Parker

  _____