[ncsc-moths] My location

  • From: "Jean Obrist" <innisfreehorses@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:56:36 -0500

I live in the foothills of the Smokies, elevation ~1000 - 1500.  It's rural,
farm, and overgrown farm country.  There are many mini-habitats nearby: river
(Nolichucky), creek, farm ponds, wet weather springs, open and overgrown
pastures, fence row flora, old buildings, vineyard, lights few and wide apart,
hardwood and mixed forests, cedar forest (oak, hickory, walnut, maple, beech,
sycamore, hackberry, dogwood, pine, etc), many shrubs (witch hazel, redbud,
spicebush, etc), lawns, vegetable and flower gardens, open areas and dark
hollows.  Lots of wildflowers, grasses, wild fruits and berries.  Lots of
birds; I have to get up early to beat the wrens to the moths on the porch.
TN is also divided into three distinct areas.  I am in the Mountains.   My
county has elevations from ~900 to over 5,000.  I am on Goodwater Road, Bybee,
TN if you want to look up the lay of the land.
Y'all are welcome to come over the mountains for a visit any time.  In
mid-April, I hope to see the Olympia Marble butterflies that were here last
year.  (just over a mile from my house.)  My neighbor has a neat B&B if anyone
wants an overnight or weekend.  She will give a price break to butterfly/ moth
people.

Jean Obrist
Cocke Co, TN