[ncsc-moths] Re: ID help, please

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:10:18 -0500

Harry,

Just out of curiosity, I did a little research into Rhyacionia to try and
learn a little more about species distribution.  In some technical forestry
papers online, I found several papers describing damage done by two species
to loblolly pine plantations in the southeast:  R. rigidana and R.
frustrana.  The type locality of frustrana is Virginia (not sure where the
common name Nantucket pine tip moth came from).  I could find no mention of
any other Rhyacionia in the southeastern coastal plain except for subtropica
which occurs in Florida.  If somebody forced me to put a species name on
your moth, even though it's not a perfect match, I think there is a pretty
good chance it is frustrana ( and an appropriate name given your difficulty
with it!).

Merrill

--
J. Merrill Lynch