[ncsc-moths] ID help, please

  • From: Harry Wilson <harrywilson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NC Moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:54:50 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Moth-ers,

I have decided that moths should be required to carry identification with them.
That way there will be some hope for me to maintain my sanity.

Last night I took the attached photos, and many others, of a micro moth that is
giving me a headache. One problem is that my sheet was not anchored as well as
it should have been, so I had a constantly moving target. After searching
through MPG and BugGuide, I believe that the closest match is an unlikely
candidate, #2887.1,Rhyacionia duplana or Summer Shoot Moth/Elgin Shoot Moth. It
resembles Tom Murrays photos from Groton MA at
http://bugguide.net/node/view/382988 and http://www.pbase.com/image/123416460.
This is a European and Asian moth that has been documented in the US only in
MA, as far as I can tell. I have included information on host plants and
distribution to show why I discount my tentative ID. I hope that someone may
bring me back to my senses with a better, more logical, ID.

Host plants: Pinus sylvestris (Scots Pine), Pinus contorta var. latifolia
(Shore Pine, a common tree in western North America), Pinus thunbergii
(Japanese Black Pine, Japanese Pine, Black Pine – native to Japan and S.
Korea), Picea sitchensis (Sitka Spruce – from AK down coast to n. CA).
recorded from Korea, but Byun et al., 1998, have not found any specimens.
In the UK, this species is represented by the subspecies Rhyacionia duplana
logaea , where it is also known as the Elgin shoot moth; in Japan the
subspecies Rhyacionia duplana simulata Heinrich occurs.

Harry Wilson
Zebulon, NC