[ncsc-moths] Re: Even-lined Sallow

  • From: TNT Sanders <tsanders1993@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:30:46 -0500

Thanks Merrill, I wasn't aware of that.  We learn something new everyday!

Tom

Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 09:16:42 -0500
Subject: [ncsc-moths] Re: Even-lined Sallow
From: jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes.  Tulip Poplar is not really a poplar but a member of the Magnolia family.
Poplars are in the genus Populus and are in the same family with willows
(Salicaceae).  That is the problem with common names; many times species that
are not related at all share the same or similar common name.

Merrill

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM, TNT Sanders <tsanders1993@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Am I mistaken in thinking that in addition to the ornamental Silver Poplar have
also have Tulip (Yellow) Poplar in Mecklenburg county?

Tom Sanders
Charlotte, NC

From: pandlscharf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 21:56:58 -0500

Taylor, I sent your photo off to the guy that does all the Bar-coding. Here are
his comments.:
"Paul:  I am unsure about this moth.  It seems too large for Ipimorpha, the
most southern records I know of are Ky (listed in Va. but Covell given as
reference meaning not caught in recent times) and Ferguson believed it only
feeds on poplar or aspen which other than the ornamental silver poplar leaves
Mecklenburg County out.  I wonder if it could be a late flying Phoberia.  Size
seems right and the pattern varies all over the place.  June is late for it but
maybe a stray one delayed by some factor or the photographic date is not right.
 Need I say it again, if we only had a specimen we could be sure.  Best I can
do."
Hope this helps some. Paul

--
J. Merrill Lynch