[ncsc-moths] Discover Life information

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 12:21:52 -0400

Nancy Lowe from Discover Life aked me to pass this information on.

We have a simplified moth protocol, not sure if you've seen it... please pass
this along and invite folks to join us for Spring Natural History Survey April
20-22!
http://www.discoverlife.org/moth/how.html

She also recently sent the following post out to Moths and Moth Watching on
Face Book.
I thought it might be useful to share here as well.

Larry McDaniel

Moth Identification Tools!!

Several of you have been asking about how to go about ID'ing a moth, other than
thumbing through a guide or paging through MPG... Discover Life has two great
resources for moths of the Southeast (which work well for much of the East in
general). These are works in progress but already tremendously useful. We
created this guide to the moths of Clarke County, GA:
http:/.../www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Moth&cl=US%2FGA%2FClarke

... and use the guide in tandem with our growing illustrated checklist --be
patient -- it may take about 2-3 minutes to load, but worth it! We recommend
http://pick14.pick.uga.edu/mp/20p?see=nh%2Fid%2F20q%2Fedit%2Ftitle%2Fmoth&res=240&id=I_JP107533

Note that both are arranged in groups that are "intuitive" rather than
taxonomic, and when in doubt we use layperson's language rather than
professional entomological