[ncsc-moths] Re: Desmia funeralis vs Desmia maculalis

  • From: Hugh McGuinness <hdmcguinness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 16:32:32 -0400

In addition, in my experience there is considerable size overlap s it is
necessary to sex the moth you are seeing.

Male funeralis are largest, next are male maculalis and female funeralis,
and then finally the smallest are female maculalis. These two can easily be
sexed by looking at the antennae, which have a notch (or joint) in the
middle of the antenna as can be seen in Ken's photos.

--
Hugh McGuinness
Washington, D.C.