[ncsc-moths] Abbott's Sphinx--new for Watauga Co., NC--5 April 2012

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:33:27 -0400

7870 Sphecodina abbottii (Abbott's Sphinx)--my first sphingid of the
year and the first ever Abbott's for my farm.  What an amazing moth!
Came buzzing in to the porch UV light at 6:45 am and at first I
thought it was a large beetle.  It never settled down but I did manage
to get a few shots of it in flight.  Stayed for 3 minutes and took
off.  I had been photographing moths since 4:30 am and it made its
brief appearance just as it was starting to get light.  Very cool!

Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga Co., NC
3400 feet elevation