[ncsc-moths] A Recap on 2011

  • From: Kyle Kittelberger <kkturtledude@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Moth List <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 10:43:44 -0800 (PST)

Hey everyone,

With the close of 2011 and the beginning of 2012, I thought I would do a little
recap on how the year went for me wildlife wise. 2011 was definitely the year
of moths, with hemipterans (leafhoppers, planthoppers, treehoppers,etc.) thrown
in. This was the first year that I truly started paying very close attention to
moths, photographing and identifying them, and putting up moth sheets. And what
a crazy and fun-filled year it was! And in addition to keeping track of the
number of moths I saw, I also kept track of the number of other creatures that
I saw. Below is the summary of these lists, in no particular order:

Birds: 306 species
Mammals: 19 species
Reptiles: 32 species
Amphibians: 23 species
Butterflies: 66 species
Dragonflies: 59 species
Damselflies: 23 species
Moths: 528 species
Spittlebugs: 3 species
Leafhoppers: 72 species, plus a couple awaiting ids
Planthoppers: 11 species
Treehoppers: 10 species
Cicadas: 3 species
Grasshoppers: 6 species
Crickets: 6 species
Grasshoppesr: 7 species
Land Planarians: 1 species

Though I can't say I will be going as crazy as I did this past year and keep a
list of everything, especially since I will be going to college in September, I
look forward to enjoying everyone's posts and to finding more new moth species.
Currently the Falls Lake moth list is at 802, 550 of which I have seen in my
backyard. I can't wait until National Moth Week arrives!

Take care, happy mothing, and happy new year!

Kyle Kittelberger
Raleigh, NC