[ncpm] Public friends not public enemies

  • From: "Bill Best" <billbest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:47:11 +0000

> > From: Paris Lynne - Learning Strategy Division > -
><lynne.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > The attached presentation shows one way that Voluntary Arts
> > Organisations aligned themselves with the public sector.

>I will try to send this presentation again attached to this email. It
>seems this programme doesn't like attachments

Here it is in plain text format:

VOLUNTARY ARTS AND DELIVERING HARD TARGETS

SUB-ORBITAL
a cultural case study

Presented by Lynne Paris
Chair of the Doncaster Cultural Partnership
Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets

WHO DELIVERS VOLUNTARY ARTS ACTIVITIES?
Professionally organised groups from all walks of life
Highly skilled and experienced operational staff force
Committed and enthusiastic people who deliver to tight schedules within
nominal budgets

Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets
WHAT ARE VOLUNTARY ARTS?
A vehicle for learning new skills and developing existing ones
A platform for self-expression, motivation and FUN
A social experience with few or no  barriers to participation

Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets
? WHAT DOES THE DCP DELIVER?
? 130 Community based projects, all of whom are listed in the VANDaS
Directory
? an annual Cultural Festival, showcasing the Voluntary Arts in Doncaster

Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets
? WHAT DOES THE DCP DELIVER?
? An inspiring programme of entertainment and activity based education which
generates community spirit and breaks down cultural barriers across the
Borough

Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets
? HOW CAN THE DCP DELIVER MORE?
? By Working in Partnerships with other bodies to deliver hard targets in
more innovative ways
? By providing cost effective ways of delivering hard targets in crime,
health,education and the economy

Voluntary Arts and delivering Hard Targets
HOW CAN VOLUNTARY ARTS DELIVER ON HARD ECONOMIC TARGETS?
? CRIME
? EDUCATION
? HEALTH
? ECONOMIC

Voluntary Arts and delivering Hard Targets
CRIME
? Engaging projects that interest people
? Absorb their time - less time to be bored
? Channeling negative energy etc

Voluntary Arts and delivering Hard Targets
EDUCATION
? Creative Writing - English
? Accountancy - Mathematics
? Web-site building - IT/Design
? Running Events - Project Man.
? Capacity Building - Business Man.

Voluntary Arts and delivering Hard Targets
HEALTH
? Engagement in group activities build relations-sense of belonging
? Improve self esteem/self worth
? Reduce depression, anxiety, panic attacks, drug related problems
? Performance builds confidence

Voluntary Arts and delivering Hard Targets
ECONOMIC
Consolidating Creative Industries
Opportunities to gain competency evidence/experience
Engaging ?hard to reach? groups that prefer non-bureaucratic organisational
structures

Voluntary Arts and Delivering Hard Targets
HOW TO ENGAGE AND INSPIRE HARD TO REACH GROUPS
? Make them Feel valued
? Listen to them
? Provide interesting challenges
? Provide exciting activities

SUB-ORBITAL
? Project for DJ mixing
? Activity based learning
? Leisure pursuit
? Cool/street cred
? Driven by young people
? Supported by authority

SUB-ORBITAL
All aspects of running an organisation
real experience in real situations

SUB-ORBITAL
the opportunity to make mistakes
safely and to learn from them

SUB-ORBITAL
COMPETENCY BASED EVIDENCE
Analyse activities in terms of competencies demonstrated

SUB-ORBITAL
HOW DO YOU
ENGAGE
YOUNG PEOPLE?