[ncpm] From Marcus O'Hagan

  • From: "Bill Best" <billbest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 12:36:40 +0000

>From marcusoh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  Tue Feb 25 01:38:49 2003

It is clear that there has been a long term conspiracy between YF, SHU and
the City Council (Sheffield One). There is no way a deal like this could be
put together in the time available.

I would encourage anyone interested in the truth to report this to the
Charity Commission post haste. Jane Adderley on 0151 703 1516. The 'land
exchanges' only add fuel to the conspiracy theory.

The Comptroller General at the Audit Commission might also be interested in
any facts which confirm this conspiracy. YF are not allowed to act outside
the law as they have done.

The Comptroller and Auditor General
National Audit Office
157 - 197 Buckingham Palace Road
mail direct on

Clive Betts has obviously dropped out of the picture as an advocate, so dont
waste your time there. (another distraction imho). His office told me there
was only one other person bothered about this whole fiasco.

Can anyone explain why the Business plan was so poor, contained a pretty one
dimensional solution and contained none of multiple income strands as
presented to Scedu by both Nort and myself. Could it be
because SCEDU's income is via Yorkshire Forward? Why did Scedu not
take up any of the offers of help given? Why were the early versions of the
plan not properly circulated. Could they (secdu) be part of the same

Can anyone explain why people associated with previous failed versions of
NCPM refused to attend a meeting with Yorkshire Forward if I was present
(according to a rather tearful so called organiser of Pride in Sheffield).
Perhaps I should have put pressure on that person to reveal where the
meeting was to be held - he tearfully refused to reveal this and
acknowledged that he felt 'really bad' about the whole thing.

Can anyone explain why Pride in Sheffield's name was attached to the
business plan when it was not accepted at the only meeting which discussed

The business plan had absolutely nothing to do with Pride in Sheffield.

We have been conned big style (unfortunately by 'self styled' members of
Pride in Sheffield as much as by YF the City Council etc.)

I am pretty disgusted (does it show?).

So much for the sacred chalice of music....

A vibrant new future is planned for Sheffield's former National Centre for
Popular Music after years of uncertainty over the long-term use of the
iconic city landmark.

Yorkshire Forward has accepted a bid for the former NCPM from Sheffield
Hallam University, who plan to incorporate it into a development which will
make a substantial contribution to the regeneration of 'creative Sheffield'
by using the university's arts, science and technological expertise.

At the heart of the #1.85m transaction is a land exchange that will see SHU
taking over the site in return for three areas of land that are critical to
the City's development plans and achieving the Sheffield One Masterplan. The
transaction also ensures no further public funding is needed to support the

As part of a major investment programme, the university will move its School
of Cultural Studies into the city centre from its current cramped Psalter
Lane site. The school, which has an international reputation as a centre of
teaching and research excellence in the creative arts, design and the
humanities, will be relocated in a new building on the site of the current
Students' Union - the Nelson Mandela Building.

To make way for the new building, the Students' Union will move to the
former NCPM, where they plan to run cultural events and organise activities,
which not only attract their 27,000 members but also bring in people from
the city.

The union also has plans to develop the building into a small and medium
sized venue, which can be hired by clubs and associations in Sheffield who
want to stage their own events, which will run alongside the regular student
programme. The move will bring Sheffield One's vision to develop a Cultural
Industries Quarter a step closer to reality, and at the same time bring an
end to three years of uncertainty about the future of the building.

The former National Centre for Popular Music (NCPM) closed as a visitor
attraction in 1999 due to low visitor numbers. Yorkshire Forward inherited a
£1m debt on the building and acquired the building last May from its owners,
MHL holdings.

Martin Havenhand, Chief Executive of Yorkshire Forward said:

"We are delighted to have concluded a deal with Sheffield Hallam University
to secure the future of the iconic building which will allow people from the
city of Sheffield access to cultural events. The exchange of land with the
university also provides a further opportunity to realise the vision for
Sheffield One in developing the Cultural Industries Quarter of the City."

Professor Diana Green, Vice Chancellor of Sheffield Hallam University said:

"We're now keen to move as quickly as we can. We are already picking up a
buzz of excitement around our plan, which we believe will make a significant
contribution to the spirit of the Cultural Industries Quarter and the life
of the city."

Alison Nimmo, Chief Executive of Sheffield One said:

"The Cultural Industries Quarter is a unique part of Sheffield and has a
vital role to play in the regeneration of the city centre.  We believe that
the arrangement reached with Sheffield Hallam University over the former
NCPM building will help to increase activity and vibrancy in the area and
promote its further development."

Notes to Editors:
1. Yorkshire Forward is the driving force behind the economic regeneration
of the region, delivering a programme of change that will make a positive
difference to our people, our businesses and our environment.

2. For further information, please contact Keith Crane Senior Media
Relations Officer, Yorkshire Forward on 0113 394 9710: fax 0113 234
9211;e-mail keith.crane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

3. Questions relating to Sheffield Hallam University should be directed to
John Palmer, Director of Communications on 0114 225 3896.

4. Questions relating to Sheffield One should be directed to Rachel Perry on
0114 203 9090.

End of press release.

Stay in touch with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk