[ncpm] Conspiracy!!Free speech suppressed in South Yorkshire!!

  • From: andy <anything@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joy Slave" <joyslave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:32:04 +0000

have we got a real live conspiracy on ...

>The www.yf-sucks.org.uk site was pulled - what finer praise can a parody
>website have?
>>Dear blueyonder customer,
>>It has been brought to our attention that the pwp webspace registered > to
>>this account is being used for a site that has caused offence to a > third
>>party, against the terms and conditions of service.
>>We have removed access to the content.
>>Blueyonder Security and Abuse Team.
>So, the site must have 'pushed someone's buttons'.  If it didn't hit home
>then it could be easily ignored, n'est ce pas?
>This has been sent to Blueyonder.  Could've done better but time, time...
>>this account is being used for a site that has caused offence to a
>>third party, against the terms and conditions of service.
>Please explain further.
>The site that was hosted in the pwp webspace was not intended to cause any
>offence to anybody so if you can inform me which parts or sections of the
>site have caused particular offence then I will ask the site designer to
>remove them.
>The site designer took particular care not to use:
>(a) any names of any real individuals
>(b) any names of any real organisations
>(c) any original text or graphics from any third party website.
>I therefore do not see how it is possible to cause offence to a fictional
>person or fictional entity.  In fact, the site hosted in the pwp webspace
>was basically written as a work of satirical political fiction to supplemen=
>a pressure group campaign that is currently running in Sheffield.
>A little background - the "Pride In Sheffield" campaign has been running
>since October to highlight the potential sale of Sheffield's National Centr=
>for Popular Music (NCPM) to a local University for the use as a Student
>Union building.  This is a public building paid for with =A315 million of
>Lottery money and will probably be sold to the University for =A31.8 millio=
>A regional re-development agency - which is unaccountable to taxpayers or
>voters - is looking favourably at this particular proposal.  The NCPM
>building is an iconic building situated in the heart of Sheffield's
>"Cultural Industries Quarter" - an area reserved for creative and artistic
>businesses and endeavours.  "Pride In Sheffield" disagrees with the
>potential change of use of the building - no more than that.
>The "Pride In Sheffield" campaign operates a mailing list and the archives
>are viewable here - http://www.freelists.org/archives/ncpm/.  The campaign
>also has the support of some local MP's and councillors, celebrities, the
>designers of the building and many local people who live and work in
>Sheffield.  There is also a website here:
>The website hosted with blueyonder was part of a humourous attempt to draw
>attention to the situation.  A disclaimer page supporting the site explaine=
>that the site should be seen as a caricature of a number of characters
> [...]

Andy Stamp
The Culture Company
The Workstation
15 Paternoster Row
S1 2BX

Andy's landline: 0114 - 225 - 4616.
Andy's mobile: 07816 - 000 - 891.
=46ax: 0114 - 225 - 4606.
Nigel's landline: 0114 - 225 - 4644.
Katz's landline: 0114 - 221 - 3057.

This year's Shooting Live Artists Commissions are:

Pleasant Land by Third Angel.

Suffragettes invented Performance Art by Leslie Hill and Helen Paris

Skin / Strip Online by Completely Naked and Further field.

TRANSFORMER by Daniel Gosling.

=46ile under Sacred Music by Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard.

iROOM by Ronald Fraser- Munroe.

To view last year's The Shooting Live Artists 01/2 online media arts works
please go to:

=46or this year's b.playful programme  28/29.11. 02. please go to:

=46or information about The Culture Company, current and future projects
please go to: