[ncolug] Re: this is Linux

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 22:22:14 -0400

Well, why are there dependency issues that apt can't handle for you? Is this an issue with Etch's repositories? Is the issue amd64 support problems?

Mike K.

larry wrote:

I installed Etch in the remaining free space on my lower array, got all the way through, and wrote grub to the MBR. When it rebooted, it still had the original Ubuntu grub configuration, and didn't know anything about no Debian.

I let Ubuntu come up, then mounted the Debian partition with the mount command. Then I checked to see that the /boot in my Debian partition (sdb1) looked right, it did. (I didn't look too closely) Obviously, Debian neglected to put the thing in the right partition. So I just copied it down to overwrite the Ubuntu one.

This basically lost both installations. It turns out that Debian got mixed up on the disk order, and set everything one number too high.

I booted from the Ubuntu DVD, mounted sda1 again, and edited menu.list. Changed every sdb1 to sda1, and every hd1 to hd0. That fixed it.

Then booted up Debian (2.6.16-2-amd64-generic) and tried to start gnome - all I got was the plain window manager. After poking around, I am seeing that gnome is only partially installed... the actual gnome-desktop-environment package will not install due to a nightmare of dependency conflicts.

I would scrap it now, except that 2 days ago I had the exact same distribution running fine in a vm on the same machine. Ideas?

Subject field.