[ncolug] Re: holding someone's hand at the terminal (linux not train)

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:42:19 -0400

Mike Bell wrote:

On 8/23/06, *Chuck Stickelman* <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    M. Knisely wrote:

    > A few months (year or more?) I posted a question to see how one
    could
    > get an application to run in a terminal and re-attach to that
    terminal
    > from ssh.  The consensus was that Screen was the answer.  Well,
    as I
    > used it I also found that it had a cool ability to allow two
    users to
    > attach to the same console at the same time.  This was great when I
    > was training my server administrators to do all the ugly command
    line
    > stuff.  Well, it looks like others have had luck with this too:
    >
    > http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1946232
    <http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1946232>

    > Honestly, it's a short article that just links to Screen's
    website, so
    > it's not all that interesting.  Do any of you see a use for this?
    > Most of us run X so we would just fire up VNC and connect to the
    > entire desktop, but this is great for those situations where
    bandwidth
    > is an issue, or having X is just plain unacceptable.
    >
    > Anyone think a screen demo would be a good presentation?
    >
    > Mike K.

    While at Miami Systems Mike Bell put together a terminal server to act
    as a console for several of the servers.  It used Screen.  It was very
    cool - either Mike or I could connect to that box and control one or
    more servers.  I think there's a lot of applicability to the tool.

    Chuck

Screen is an awsome tool. Personally I've not tapped into the full potential of in at all.

It's funny that you bring up that box from MSC. I'm now looking at doing something just like this here at home. Would have been nice if I'd saved that code off in my home directory. D'oh. Nothing worse that reinventing the wheel again. Version 2 will have to have feature creep I'm sure. Used pdmenu last time, maybe I'll did into dialog or whiptail or [dx]ialog combo and learn some more on those. Screen and kermit will certainly fall into the mix.

Mike

I did quite a bit with Kermit when I was at CMHC Systems.
That was our preferred client communication/x-fer tool since it worked on all platforms. We even distributed it with our product (all we had to do was also include one of the official Kermit books, and we were covered by Kermit's license...) Kermit has a very rich scripting language and can do some very amazing things...

Chuck