[ncolug] Re: holding someone's hand at the terminal (linux not train)

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:08:58 -0400

M. Knisely wrote:

A few months (year or more?) I posted a question to see how one could get an application to run in a terminal and re-attach to that terminal from ssh. The consensus was that Screen was the answer. Well, as I used it I also found that it had a cool ability to allow two users to attach to the same console at the same time. This was great when I was training my server administrators to do all the ugly command line stuff. Well, it looks like others have had luck with this too:
http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/14/1946232
Honestly, it's a short article that just links to Screen's website, so it's not all that interesting. Do any of you see a use for this? Most of us run X so we would just fire up VNC and connect to the entire desktop, but this is great for those situations where bandwidth is an issue, or having X is just plain unacceptable.
Anyone think a screen demo would be a good presentation?
Mike K.

While at Miami Systems Mike Bell put together a terminal server to act as a console for several of the servers. It used Screen. It was very cool - either Mike or I could connect to that box and control one or more servers. I think there's a lot of applicability to the tool.

Chuck