[ncolug] Re: diary of VM progress

  • From: larry <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 21:44:46 -0400

There is no 64-bit.

M. Knisely wrote:
Larry, check the vmware site. There are some Ubuntu 6.06 machines that are pre-built. I'd give one of them a shot as I believe that they have been optimized for vmware.

I think that there is some sort of display driver specifically for vmware linux installs.

Mike K.

larry wrote:
Tuesday
Finished installing Ubuntu host, was waiting for a choice of "server install" which never came, I guess 64-bit doesn't have it. No package selection either. About the only thing it asks you is the username. I kept it down to 40GB + 1GB swap, as all it will be doing is running VMWare.

I got started with VMWare, and saw that I needed kernel headers for the running kernel, (and a compiler,) which is when I noticed that the kernel was just "AMD64-generic." I also figured out that Opterons are still considered K8.

I looked at what else was available, and upgraded it to 2.6.15-24-K8-smp, and got the headers for that, as well as GCC. Oddly, when I boot, I don't see a kernel choice in grub, but the new one is running. Kernel log shows both CPU's humming away. (4268 BogoMIPS)

VMWare installed "perfectly." I created a 60GB virtual machine for another Ubuntu-64, the one I will "really" use. I also just learned that I am not limited to "64-bit machines." (I only have a 32-bit Vista.)

I gave Ubuntu both processors and a gigabyte of RAM.

Wednesday
Had a problem running the vm console - could not run it unless root, but then it couldn't find it's settings. One quick trip to the knowledge base solved it, by running a chown on the stuff in my normal user's home. Disabled the floppy in the vm to get rid of errors, as there is no actual floppy.

Installing Ubuntu in the vm took almost an hour, compared to 10 minutes normally. Something is wrong. The finished install is also running in slow motion. I was able to install the tools, but that didn't make any difference. I will try dropping it down to 1 processor/512 like it defaulted to.

If we have not peace within ourselves,
it is in vain to seek it from outward sources.

                              La Rochefoucauld (1613-1680)