[ncolug] Upstart was Re: upgrade fever

  • From: Mike <mikeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 00:18:49 -0400

Chuck Stickelman wrote:

>> Someday I need to figure out just how Ubuntu has moved away from init.
>> Upstart is the name.  It's supposed to be faster, more flexible, robust.
>>  Can't say that it's been any of those on this machine.
>>

> Wow!  Doing away with init is a big deal!  It should be done as an
> "init=" entry at the boot loader.  Anything other than that would force
> a unique kernel build which should be avoided and condemned at all costs.
>
> I'm not sure how much faster init should be... It's a pretty
> light-weight program.  Also, how much more flexible does an initial
> program have to be?  I'm not seeing the advantage.  I think this could
> be just one more reason why Ubuntu should be avoided...

Using upstart doesn't force you to use a certain kernel.  It is
compatible with init and its boot parameters for the most part.  I
believe that I was still using "old world" ideas to try and recover more
modern day issues.  The busybox shell if certainly part of initramfs.
That at least I understand and have worked with many times.  The real
frustration was not landing in a *real* single user mode where I could
just fix it and not have to manually bring up all the devices by hand.
If I wanted that, Solaris with Veritas or even their own RAID could give
me that. :)

This could be a good meeting topic as I've seen reference to upstart in
Debian testing and Fedora.  Surely it's in use elsewhere.
--
Mike

http://www.bellyacresoh.com

Subject field.