[ncolug] Re: Ubuntu (and other Debain Based Distro) utility to help with common configurations

  • From: "M. Knisely" <charon79m@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:03:13 -0400

M. Knisely wrote:

Here's an interesting tool to get a lot of the things installed on a normal home system. I'll be giving this a shot on an home system and let you all know how it goes.

Here's the basics of it:
http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Here's the packages it installs:
http://getautomatix.com/wiki/index.php?title=Automatix_for_%28X%29Ubuntu

Again, I'll report back after I've played with it.

Mike K.

Well, I gave this a shot and it works well. It adds a few new repositories and scripts some apt-get installs. In all, it's very easy to do. Would I keep using it, probably not. I think it is just as easy to follow a simple how-to, but for those people who "heard you can rip DVDs using Linux" this thing is perfect.

Mike K.

Subject field.