[ncolug] Re: Ubuntu 10.10 question Being a Newbie

  • From: Aidan Artos MacTyre <wolfson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:36:09 -0400

Been using Ubuntu 10.04 for a while, and wondered why it's update manager hadn't upgraded the install to 10.10. Apparently there is a block on that update step. As I type this note, I am downloading the CD Image for the 10.10 Live CD to use as an upgrade for my 10.04 Ubuntu so that I can make the further upgrade to 11.04 (current version). I also did a download and burn of a 64 bit version of 10.04 which appears to run quite well on my equipment.

Dell Business Desktop, with an Intel Core 2 duo cpu with 4 gig of ram installed.

Two years ago I installed Ubuntu linux on this machine which has been running and updating to v10.04LTS. I want to install Ubuntu Linux 11.04 in the same partition on the HD and would prefer a migration path that would lead to both 11.04 and 64 bit which would take better advantage of the processor and installed memory. Installing straight up would probably kill some of the fun apps, etc. I've installed thanks to your help in this group.

I'm also looking at two new machines for linux. One is my son's Mactel machine (another possible convert - from Apple even) who is looking at using Ubuntu Linux on his Mac Book Pro laptop. Secondly I am also looking for a netbook machine that will let me use Ubuntu and connect to a wireless G network for both home and outside use. That machine, yet to be purchased, needs to be able to share easily on a home network, access the internet and support basic office apps like Open Office.

Who wants to take a shot at which question?  Have at it folks.
Jim

Subject field.