[ncolug] Re: Ubuntu 10.10 question

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 20:55:53 -0400

On Sat, 2011-04-23 at 10:24 -0400, C Olson wrote:
> I looked at aptitude and all that was mentioned was textlive, an apache
> prefork, and latex.  So I saw nothing for the kernel.  I have no idea
> what to do further.  Could there be something that is not in Grub menu
> to select the other kernels?

If you're not seeing options for new kernels, then I'm starting to
wonder waht your /etc/apt/sources/list file looks like...  This file is
used to tell your system which repositories to use.  If your
sources.list file is out of date, like pointing to a specific
distribution by name, you'll never see the option for a new kernel.

If you're still having problems you might want to post a copy of your
file.

Your GRUB menu is re-built every time you install a new kernel, it
shouldn't have any manual entries, though it is possible to have manual
entries...

Chuck

Subject field.