[ncolug] Re: Ubuntu 10.10 question

  • From: Rob Gibson <nosbig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 11:57:27 -0400

That's definitely one way to take care of it, but that should be a
LAST resort after you have exhausted all other options.  Monkeying
around with the packaging system like that might just break your
package manager.

You can run synaptic and search for "linux-image" to see all of the
kernel packages available.  From there you can mark the newest kernel
for installation and remove any old kernels in one fell swoop.  Click
apply, and life should be good.  However, I would recommend not
removing the package for the kernel you are currently running.  Leave
that package until after you have installed a new kernel and rebooted
to that new kernel.  Based upon what I am seeing from the web, Ubuntu
installs a linux-image-generic package which is an empty package that
simply pulls in the latest kernel for your distribution.  Remove the
old linux-image-2.6.xx kernel packages but leave linux-image-generic
installed to keep getting updated kernels.

As a personal "best practice," I tend to keep one known working kernel
and the latest kernel.  For example, since I re-installed my desktop
(for the first time in like 5 years), I have kept 2.6.32 from the
"Squeeze" installation and I am running the 2.6.38 included in
"testing."  When 2.6.39 or later comes out, I will choose to either
remove the original 2.6.32 kernel or the 2.6.38 update, but I will
leave the other on the system, just in case.  In testing, if an update
totally breaks the kernel (which is HIGHLY unlikely but not
inconceivable), I will still be able to boot to the older kernel to
recover and make appropriate repairs.  Having my complete installed
distribution sure beats using a recovery CD/flash drive, if I can
avoid it.

Rob Gibson

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 9:15 AM, nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> removal of old Ubuntu kernels with Nautilus
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1669765&page=2

Subject field.