[ncolug] Solution for printer drivers under Linux?

  • From: Henry Keultjes <keultjesh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 18:10:15 -0500

On 12/31/2017 06:10 PM, rcrislip wrote:

For what it's worth, I print using HP 4550 Color Laser, HP CP1518 Color
Laser, HP P2015 Laser, and HP M1100 laser printers, hardware and
virtual. So my suggestion is to get a name brand printer and when you
install it on your linux system you should (and that's the operative
word here) be able to locate a driver for it.

Mike Bell already mentioned that our experience with HP was about as bad as any brand and certainly much worse than Brother.   But it is also obvious that we all have Linux but quite unlikely that any of us have an identical configuration.

The objective, early last years, was to get a Canon LBP6230dw working, only in the USB connected mode.  The further objective will be to get a Canon D570 working after that.

I used to use the Konquerer browser because I already use Firefox within KDE and I would prefer to go that route again but I may have to hold off on that.   See what magic Mike can work when he comes over.

There was hope that Ubuntu switching to their own DE might solve a bunch of these desktop issues but the way I read the tea leaves, that's not about to happen and I am not about to go the Gnome route.

As Mike posted, installing a Debian version of the Firefox browser might help so that's what we will do first and we will see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

Henry Keultjes

Mansfield Ohio USA

Subject field.