[ncolug] Re: Remote network monitoring

  • From: nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

while ; do ; done before the email echo will limit to one email.

example notification email sent on rsync completion from commandlinefu

$(while [ ! -z "$(pgrep rsync)" ]; do echo; done; echo "rsync done" |
mailx user@xxxxxxxxxxx) > /dev/null &

From: Ken Allen

Subject: [ncolug] Remote network monitoring
To: "ncolug" <ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, May 18, 2010, 8:45 PM

My dad and I have a wireless network
 that recently had a major issue and the network was completely down.  I am
looking for an open source program that can run in linux or windows to check
the status of the network and if it is down, then send email and sms alerts.
Does anyone know of a program that can do this for us?

Thanks,

Ken