[ncolug] Re: Remote network monitoring

  • From: <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 5:28:53 -0400

This could be turned into a very useful shell script.  Actually, this could be
two very useful shell scripts; one to create the status message, and one to do
the notification.

Another approach could be to modify syslog to update a new file in /var/log/
and then use inotify to monitor that file.  inotify could then use the
notification script from above...

Chuck

---- nor thern <zboson2003@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnokii-smsd
> http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/User's_Guide
> echo "This is a test message" | gnokii --sendsms +12345678
>
> http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/3345/send-a-signed-and-encrypted-email-from-the-command-line
>
> echo "SECRET MESSAGE" | gpg -e --armor -s | sendmail USER@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> cron job .
> netstat every 60 seconds; cut field and grep for network down message to
> be sent to gnokii and sendmail using tee.

Subject field.