[ncolug] Re: Need recommendations

  • From: C Olson <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 11:45:43 -0400

I was thinking of students using them at the desktop they were assigned to.

Cory

"For all the ways in which technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three." --Alice Kuhn

On 05/17/2011 10:25 AM, M. Knisely wrote:
I've had poor performance running anything more than two machines at a time on a USB connected HDD. I've not yet tried this on USB3.0.

Mike K.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM, C Olson <techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:techconsultant4u@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Try using usb hard drives for each student that might work
    starting with the live cd and then building on a usb hdd.

    Cory

    "For all the ways in which technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three." --Alice Kuhn

    On 05/17/2011 09:09 AM, M. Knisely wrote:
    Sorry I've not yet chimed in on this.  My take on this is that
    live CDs, while handy teaching tools, do not provide what is
    trying to be accomplished.  What I, and I think Chuck, would like
    to see is a portable demonstration toolkit.  Something that a
    student can build as they go through the curriculum, much like an
    artist's portfolio.

    Because of the licensing limitations like VMWare, it does not
    lend itself to this portable idea.

    For the "live data" aspect, I've been kicking around using
    tcpreplay and a slim VM to generate this traffic.  Worth a look.

    Mike K.

    On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Chuck Stickelman
    <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Howdy all!

         Rob, Mike K., myself, and others have been talking about ways to
        improve the networking technology used in the CIS program @ North
        Central State College.  We are currently using VirtualBox as
        a platform
        for the students to install and learn various operating
        systems, and to
        use those systems to study and learn networking topics.  The VMs
        created/used in one class are not generally available for
        subsequent
        classes or quarters.

         The goal is to design a solution where the students can
        develop their
        own persistent virtual networks.  As they progress through
        the program,
        they would install multiple virtual machines as client
        systems (Windows,
        Linux, and others), and others as servers (Windows, Linux,
        and others).
        They would also build-out their virtual networks with Virtual
        Hubs,
        Switches, Routers, Wireless Access Points, etc.

         One of the things I would like to see in this environment is the
        ability to run multiple VMs that would simulate real-world
        systems.
        These systems would generate simulated network traffic, with
        simulated
        users sending simulated e-mail, transfering simulated files,
        browsing
        the (simulated?) Web, etc.  These machines would not need a
        GUI, or any
        real user-oriented applications; all simulated traffic would be
        scripted.

         Since there could be many of these machines running at the
        same time,
        they would need to have a very small memory and CPU
        foot-prints.  Fast
        boot-times would also be nice.

         There are multiple ways that this solution could be
        implemented; for
        each VM we could use:
        1) bootable floppy images
        2) LiveCD/DVD images
        3) PXE and boot the VMs from a virtual server
        4) virtual hard drives
        5) something like OpenWRT for Intel/AMD CPUs

         If we are going to have multiple copies of the boot media,
        then it
        should be relatively small.  If we are using one shared,
        read-only file
        as our boot device, then size may not matter, as much.  I
        have found
        that multiple VirtualBox VMs can use a shared, bootable ISO
        file as
        their CD/DVD drives.

        Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

        Chuck