[ncolug] Re: Interesting Ubuntu Development

  • From: Dev Null <aptget@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 16:02:15 -0400

A web service runs on a server infrastructure, (hopefully) no DE involved. Only Linux has a DE, because Linux is a command-line environment with a DE grafted onto it as an afterthought. Oddly enough, Windows is a DE with a command line interface grafted onto it as an afterthought. You should check out Powershell if you haven't already.

The browser runs on a personal device of some kind, but who cares what OS? Chrome on Linux is almost indistinguishable from Chrome on Windows. I use both every day and I often forget which I am on.

On 04/06/2017 03:09 PM, Henry Keultjes wrote:

On 04/06/2017 10:38 AM, Dev Null wrote:

The desktop is dead. Web services and browsers became the OS of choice for most people about 5 years ago.

Larry:

Help me out here. Be it a webservice or a browser, don't they need to run on a DE and that DE in turn runs on an OS? Actually, the webservice also runs on the browser that has an OS underneath . . . unless you are running on a thin-client of sorts?

Henry

Subject field.