[ncolug] Re: Debian

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:28:40 -0400

larry wrote:

I checked, and the reason that sound doesn't yet work in vmware is because vmware's sound support is still 32-bit.

I want to know if I load, for example, Debian Etch testing for AMD64, which is actually a beta, will it evolve (through updates) into the stable version eventually? Will I be able to count on having it become more stable, and gain more features, like being able to run 32-bit binaries, someday? Or will I eventually be forced to reload?

I've not worked with 64-bit, but I think I'm enough of Debian expert to add my $0.02.
Debian testing is often fairly stable. IT will always become more stable and more feature rich. I've severely broken a system had watched it fix itself after a round or two of updates. Now, someone else is going to have to voice their opinion of the 32/64 bit issue...

Remember one of Debian's prime tenets is that you should NEVER have to reload.

Chuck