[ncolug] Re: DOS 6.0 or higher disks needed

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 18:29:04 -0400

Henry Keultjes wrote:

Chuck Stickelman wrote:

Or you could just take the HD out of the 486 and put it into the Pentium...

That's worth a try but I don't think it will work because Pick will believe it is running on 486

That's weird. Does Pick for 486 have different executables than Pick for Pentium? How else would Pick know (or not know) that it's on a new platform?
I guess I don't understand Pick well enough... No other operating environment I know of would be confused by moving a HD from one system to another...

The media has to be diskette.

Confused again... If Pick of that era only understands diskettes, then what's all this talk about the HD? Please enlighten me.

Pick of that era doesn't understand anything alse and the key is that it rewrites the whole disc surface and . . . DOS is what I have used before so I am familiar with it.

That I understand... knowing the tools you're working with is important. Though learning Linux at this level shouldn't take too long... Traditional partitioning of a HD in an IBM environment can't take on too many flavors... we're constrained by assumptions IBM (and Microsoft) made 25+ years ago. This is why the newer OSs, like XP Pro, *BSD, and Linux use a totally new (and incompatible) scheme; we just hit a wall on functionality that IBM never envisioned...

When I have time to experiment I will try the Linux partitioning tool.

I think it would be worth your while to force yourself to make this investment of time and energy! The best way to learn is to just jump in and learn.

Henry

Chuck