[ncolug] Re: DOS 6.0 or higher disks needed

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:53:34 -0400

Henry Keultjes wrote:

To move my MentorPro Pick from the 486 to a Pentium, I need to first have an fdisk environment so I can set up partitions, typically 5 m for DOS and the rest of it for Pick.

However, my own DOS diskettes are crated up for a planned move that has not happened yet so I would like to borrow a set from somone.
Henry 525-1111

I have some MS-DOS and DR-DOS disks around somewhere, but why not boot to a live Ubuntu CD and do the repartitioning using {,g}parted|{,c}fdisk?
Any partitioning tool will be able to create the needed partitions. If you have an existing partition that you'd like to keep, then you could use {,g}parted under Linux or FIPS under *-DOS. A better solution than using old (MS)|(DR)-DOS would be to use FreeDOS! It's got everything most people need from a DOS and has a license that we all can live with.

Out of all of those options I think I'd go with a live Ubuntu disc...
Or you could just take the HD out of the 486 and put it into the Pentium...
Or...

Chuck