Response Regarding The Future of NCIS from a Nebraska School Counselor

  • From: Kassandra L Hill <khill2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:15:09 -0600

To Whom It May Concern,

I find it extremely unfortunate that NDE and NCE have decided to endorse
an inferior product such as Kuderâs instead of Nebraska Career Information
Systems.  I have utilized NCIS in the classroom for the past 12 years and
have been very pleased with its content, functions, accessibility and
technical service.  I have also been wooed by the competitors (ACT, AIM,
Kuder among others) and when making side-by-side comparisons found they
were no match to what I already had in place.

So I wonder aloud â how did NDE choose Kuder over NCIS?  Did they ask for
any input from the teachers or counselors across the state who actually
use these programs?  How many educational institutions already utilize
NCIS versus Kuder?  Itâs my understanding that beside NCIS, there are at
least two other career programs with higher ratings than Kuder.  Why would
NDE pick Kuder over a program that was developed and is maintained right
here in Nebraska?  Perhaps the NDE should share the selection process with
those professionals who are affected.

A side by side comparison of programs would be great LeAnn.  However,
shouldnât have this been done by NDE before decided on a program?

Iâm disappointed in this process and believe educators across the state
deserve some sort of explanation.

Jerry E. Wiggins
9-12 Counselor
Gothenburg Public Schools