NCIS E-Newsletter: The Future of NCIS - We will still be here for you!

  • From: Kassandra L Hill <khill2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 08:35:36 -0600

Dear NCIS Users and other colleagues,

It is official.  The NCIS staff received a letter from Richard Katt,
Director of Nebraska Career Education (NCE), stating that the Nebraska
Department of Education (NDE) will no longer provide grant support for
NCIS.

In place of the support for NCIS, the NDE will be providing support for
the Nebraska Career Management System (NCMS) which is powered by the
information, sorts, and website developed by Kuder.com.

Katt met with the NCIS Advisory Board to respond to questions and provide
additional information about the NMCS.  A pilot version will be available
in January, 2006.  (I have learned that some ESUs are asking for sites to
pilot and review this version.)  The fully developed version is to be
available in the fall of 2006.  Katt indicated that the site is to be free
and that state and local data as well as statewide training would be
provided by Kuder.

On a positive note, Katt indicated that districts could continue to use
Perkins dollars for any career planning programs and tools they choose.

NCIS is going to continue operations and plans to be providing services
for the children and adults in this state for a very long time.  We have
sufficient funding to operate to spring, 2007, without additional infusion
of funds (grants, increased fees, etc.)  We will be developing a different
business model with assistance from other CIS states.  In addition,
intoCareers, who contracts to do programming and provides server space for
CIS, will be very helpful during this transition period.

NCIS is developing side-by-side comparisons of content and functions in
CIS for Internet and NCMS.  If this information would be helpful during
your district's decision making process, please contact us and we will
provide it for you.  Also, if there is any other information or documents
that would be helpful, let us know.  A pilot site for the NCMS is
available to review at http://ne.kuder.com

Thank you so very much for your support for NCIS, but, more importantly,
for your support for career education and planning for children and adults
in this state.

LeeAnn
Nebraska Career Information System
421 Nebraska Hall