[natural-fiber] « Innovative Artistic and Economic Practices »

  • From: venzha christ <venzha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: HONF list <natural-fiber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 16:50:59 -0800 (PST)

///////////////////////////// WAVE Berlin Panel Discussion : « Innovative
Artistic and Economic Practices »

Fluctuations
in the economy have become similar to global climate warnings: nobody
knows exactly what will happen tomorrow, or whether the future will be
bleak or bright. Uncertainty seems to become the only certain rule.

Throughout
the early 20th century, art was the forerunner of social, political and
technological upheaval. Art at the time foresees (but not always
understands) in advance what would happen. Now, artistic activity seems
too be carried away by the whirlwind of uncertainty.

The
democratic ideal has never seemed so fragile. To a very large extend,
it remains to be a total utopia. The modesty of political ambitions,
the widespread practice of mafia, the rise of nationalist and religious
sect, continuation of poverty, distraught middle-class, all these
elements are destroying day after day the ideals of brotherhood,
equality, and liberty.

Modern communication technology and the digital economy have overwhelmed all
social practices,
either cultural or economical but we still have great difficulty
understanding the reality. We still continue to struggle with positive
outlook and engage in critical changes into the future.

In this context, it is possible to imagine new relationships between money,
politics, and artistic creation?
How will we identify new approaches, especially critical approaches in a time
of crisis?

Panelists:
I-Wei Li - multi-media artist, curator, artistic director of SideBySide Studio
Christine Kriegerowski - Berlin-based artist, working with drawing, digital
drawing and photography
Claudia Burbaum - Berlin-based art historian and freelance curator
Ela Kagel - program curator of Transmediale, initiator of the Free Culture
Incubator
Arthur Engelbert - ae prof. dr. habil., theory and practice of media and
contemporary art
Matthias Reichelt - cultural journalist, curator and editor
Tonia Welter - co-Funder and director of betahaus
Heather Corcoran - Curator at FACT (Foundation for Art and Creative Technology)

For more details about the panel, please visit
http://www.sidebysidestudio.net/spip.php?article41

venzha
the house of natural fiber
yogyakarta new media art laboratory (HONF)
Jl.wora wari A80/6
Baciro Yogyakarta
Indonesia
T : +62 (0) 817468621