[NASPRO-devel] Re: LibIntegra/NASPRO common goals

  • From: Jamie Bullock <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: naspro-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 12:11:51 +0100

Hi Stefano,

Sorry for the slow reply.

On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 12:13 +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> Just finished my exams. I haven't read the LibIntegra paper yet, but
> from what I see on the website, it seems like the focus is on remotely
> storing and retrieving plugins' meta-data (correct me if I'm wrong).

Kind of. The Integra concept revolves around 'modules' which are
abstractions of some kind of processing unit. These could be 'plugins',
but not necessarily, they could equally be Max/MSP or Pd objects,
SuperCollider classes or even standalone applications. An Integra module
consists of three things:

- The module definition: this defines the *interface* of the module,
i.e. its namespace, parameter data types, units, ranges of values etc.

- The module implementation: the implementation of the module's
*functionality* in a given environment

- The module instance data: this corresponds to the *state* of a modules
parameters at a given moment in time

The purpose of the Integra library is to facilitate the loading and
saving of modules and intercommunication between them. Module
definitions and instance data can be saved to XML files or an online
database. Module implementations can also be stored in the database
along with the module definitions.

The requirements for instantiating a module in a given environment are
that there must exist an implementation for that environment AND a
*bridge* to facilitate communication between the environment and the
Integra library. We currently have working bridges for Pure Data and
Max/MSP. I am Interested in NASPRO, because AFAICT, if wrapped as an
Integra bridge, it would enable the Integra library to instantiate a
range of plugin types.

> If I'm right, then the first obvious common goal our two projects have
> is the categorization of such meta-data (Integra), thus the plugin
> representation/abstract model (NASPRO objects).

How concerned is NASPRO with this? Don't you just get the plugin
meta-data from the plugin itself via Introspection? i.e. in LADSPA terms
from the plugin descriptor/port hints.

> If you're interested in having some discussion and exchange (hopefully
> collaborative in both ways - I help you, you help me, possibly for
> coding too), please tell me what's the most appropriate place to start
> talking about it.

Personally I think that we should let both projects evolve in parallel
at first. I can't see very much overlap between the projects (which is a
good thing), and if they continue to develop roughly as they are, then
they could work well together at some point in the future.

> We could also talk to and involve other people interested on the
> subject of course (plugin API authors, Faust?, someone else?)

Yes definitely. I am thinking that too, but I think the Integra project
needs to produce more tangible results before we start collaborating
with other projects.

Still I will be watching NASPRO carefully to see the progress.

All the best,

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk