[NASPRO-devel] Re: Hello James

  • From: "Stefano D'Angelo" <zanga.mail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: naspro-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:26:24 +0100

2008/1/19, Jamie Bullock <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Stefano,
>
> It's thrilling to see NASPRO development coming along. I was going to
> email you anyhow to compliment you on the new site!

Thanks a lot. Anyway I think I'll move the website to some other
hosting service, since Sourceforge.net is slow and unreliable.

About the development... yeah, it's been a lot of work already, but,
as it always happens when you are doing something totally new, there
are lots of things unfinished/unpolished/difficult-to-use/buggy-prone
that need to be adjusted before API stabilization.

For example I have written a contract programming-like
assertioning/debugging interface and a generic message reporting API,
but both are not yet very usable (C doesn't help, of course).

> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 18:02 +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
>
> > How is Integra going? I'm not following it, but maybe there is space
> > for some kind of collaboration (formal or informal), since nextly I'll
> > start working on the internal abstract model for plugins/processing
> > objects and maybe I'll have the opportunity to continue developing
> > NASPRO under the wing of a formal Italian institution (I won't reveal
> > the name until it's done).
>
> I definitely think a collaboration could be opportune at some point.
> Integra development is also progressing very slowly due to the limited
> time of the developers (including me).

Sad to hear that, but maybe it's a "common destiny" for us "fighting"
on such complicated long-term things... it's plain difficult to find
help for something that won't work just hacking a couple of lines of
code.

> > Right now, due to very limited manpower, I think the first release
> > will just support LADSPA and Audacious plugins and provide two
> > NASPRO-based bridges (NASPRO-to-LADSPA and NASPRO-to-Audacious) to
> > make them totally interoperable.
>
> I'll look out for that.

Excellent :-)

> > Audacious is just a little music player with a very limited fx plugin
> > API, while I guess you already know LADSPA. I'm choosing this two
> > architectures because of their "humble" capabilities.... let's start
> > simple.
>
> Sounds very sensible. Likewise, Integra has just started out providing
> bridges to Max/MSP and Pure Data environments.

Good! Anyway I just downloaded your papers on Libintegra and Libxtract
from your blog, since I don't seem to understand what Integra is truly
about from the official webiste. I'll read them when I have time and
see what can be done/how we can help each other.

> > What do you think about that? Any suggestions?
>
> Not at the moment. I only have a week to go before I submit my PhD, so I
> am _very_ busy. I'll have a think about things after that.

*hehe*
I have the last true exam session before undergraduation, so it's like
that for me too - got no time at all :-)

Best regards,

Stefano